Re: ActionTec Router/wireless printer
GarySw
I've tried un-installing and re-installing several times, all to no avail.  And in my case it's not Vista related, because my other pc running XP can also no longer see the printer.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm suspicious of this thing in the router security log that says the IP addr assigned to my printer is being blocked...something about a SYN packet??  I have yet to try the suggestion to manually set the ip addr for the printer.  I will try that tonight.  I appreciate your help.  It's frustrating because everything was working fine up until just recently.
0 Likes
CharlotteS
Moderator Emeritus

GarySw wrote:
I tried to add some screenshots using the instructions from Portforward, but all that shows up are the URLs...the images wouldn't show in this post.

Hi Gary,

I could only get one of your photos to show up..maybe the others were deleted. There are two ways to add images. If you know the html code, which you had, you can click above the posting window on Edit as HTML and copy in the code there. Or, you can load the page where the image resides and copy the URL. Then, in the regular posting window, you can click on the little green icon that is 3 to the right of the smiley face - when you mouse over it, it should say Insert, Edit Image. If you need more help, PM any moderator. 🙂 

Here's the one image that worked for me:

0 Likes
GarySw

Charlotte, thanks so much for your explanation.  The security log image above seems, according to tech support, to explain my problem.  The IP address referenced in the log is that of the printer.  But here's where it gets "fun."  Verizon tech didn't have an answer, so he sent me directly to ActionTec support.  Only problem was that actiontec told me they don't do end-user support!  So I call Verizon back, and this time they said they needed to transfer me to "expert support."  So they transfer me, and the phone rings for about 30 times, nobody answers, and I just get disconnected.

Hopefully someone in there forums will have an answer for me.  People here have been extrememly helpful, unlike the support people at Verizon.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
I am puzzled by something...

#1 Your router's LAN IP (as shown in the address bar) is 192.168.1.1

#2 But your printer's LAN IP (as shown in the logs) is 192.168.4.3

---

#1 You do not have any other router?

#2 You are not using custom subnet mask?

The default subnet mask. An IP address starting with:

192.168.*.* should have the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

10.*.*.* should have the subnet maske of 255.0.0.0

172.16.*.* should have the subnet mask of 255.255.0.0
0 Likes
GarySw
Hi.  I'm not sure I understand everything you said, but yes, the ip addr of the LAN and printer are as you say.  I have no other router, and have done no customization to the router whatsoever. 
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Ok.

What is in:

#1 Security (or Firewall Settings) -> Access control?

#2 Wireless Settings?

# Advanced?
0 Likes
GarySw

I did a reset of the actiontec router, and immediately everything was working fine again.  I have no idea why that was needed, but it did the trick.  I hope doing that didn't create any other problems, but at least for now everything seems to be working.

Thanks to everyone here who offered assistance.

0 Likes