Actiontech MoCA and Tivo
DarthElmo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I've replaced my Fios G1100 router with an Actiontech MoCA 2.5 Network Adapter, an Untangle Firewall router, and a tp-link AC1750 Wireless AP. However, when setting up the MoCA NA according to the instructions, the coax light remains off. Power and ethernet lights of the MoCA NA are on. While I'm bothered that the coax is off, I don't see any negative impact. It seems like the Tivo Bolt is behaving exactly the same way it was when the G1100 was in my setup. Which makes me wonder if a MoCA Network Adapter is in fact necessary if I'm not using a Fios STB. Am I missing something here? 

c = coax

e = ethernet

Old setup:

Splitter (c) -> G1100

Splitter (c) -> Tivo Bolt

Internet (e) -> G1100 (e) -> Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch (e) -> Tivo

New setup

Splitter (c) -> Actiontech MoCA 2.5 (e) -> Untangle router (e) -> EdgeSwitch (e) -> AC1750 WAP

Splitter (c) -> Tivo

Internet (e) -> Untangle router (e) -> EdgeSwitch (e) ->Tivo

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontech MoCA and Tivo
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

MoCA will not be needed unless you're using a FiOS STB or your Tivo Bolt is configured in MoCA Mode for the data connection, or if you wish to make use of your Coax wiring to get Ethernet to other locations of your home. How is the Tivo connected to the Internet currently? That should finish the answer to the question.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

MoCA will not be needed unless you're using a FiOS STB or your Tivo Bolt is configured in MoCA Mode for the data connection, or if you wish to make use of your Coax wiring to get Ethernet to other locations of your home. How is the Tivo connected to the Internet currently? That should finish the answer to the question.

DarthElmo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Excellent point! I didn't even think to check. It's been a few years since setting it up. So Ethernet is on/enabled, MoCA and Wi-fi are off/disabled.

Before I had both a G1100 and a Network Extender, so MoCA would have been necessary then for the two to communicate. But now just one TV with a Fios connection and a Tivo Bolt. So, yeah, no MoCA needed any more. Thank you!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome!