ActionTek MI424-WR & Static IPs via DHCP
rOotstein

Hey all. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions/experience on setting up static IP’s via DHCP with a ActionTek MI424-WR from Verizon for their FIOS? (This is just for the “data” or “network” side; no video.)

I have a small home network of all Apple products for end host computers, all running the most current OS X allowed by their hardware, and a couple of HP printers.

I have three ASUS WL330gEWiFi (802.11g) access points, an AirPort Express and one central LinkSys SRW2016 switch. Everything is centrally run with Cat6 to patch, save for end hosts connected via WiFi.

All of this is fed with Verizon’s branded ActionTek MI424-WR (firmware v4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4) which sits between my ONT and my switch.

I have DHCP on the WAN side to Verison, then NATing and DHCP fed into my LAN from the ActionTek MI424-WR.

For a variety of reasons (mostly getting my d@*(#$(# Retrospect backups to run… <grumble>) I want to feed many of my end hosts static IP’s via DHCP. So, I’ve built my static IP list, collected my various MAC addresses (interesting because on say, a laptop, there’s a MAC for the Ethernet connection and a different MAC for the WiFi/Airport connection!) and ready to program my DHCP server in the ActionTek MI424-WR.

A.)   Confirm that end host is set to DHCP

On OS X its System Preferences -> Network -> Select Configuration -> Select Ethernet interface -> DHCP drop down

Hit Apply

Close System Preferences

B.)    Turn off end host after saving Network settings

C.)    Set up a DHCP range for general use on ActionTek router

Login to router via web interface

My Network -> Network Connections -> Home/Office -> Settings

IP Address Distribution - Server

Start IP Address – 172.16.5.1

End IP Address – 172.16.5.40

Subnet Mask – 255.255.255.0

WINS Server - <blank>

Lease Time in Minutes - 720

D.)   Set up DCHP Static IP’s on ActionTek router

Login to router via web interface

Main Page click on Advanced icon

IP Address Distribution

Connection List

New Static Connection

Host Name: <left blank>

IP Address: 172.16.5.15

MAC Address: <MAC Address of Ethernet adaptor on MacBookPro (MBP) laptop>

Click on Ok

Reboot the router

E.)    After router comes back up, turn on end host (MBP) and check the DHCP Connection list. Alas, there are two entries now for this MBP MAC address; one that I WANT it to be and another that is with the DHCP range, but NOT what I want the IP address to be!

I’ve redone this a dozen times and it keeps assigning IP’s NOT as I wish. Totally odd to me if I define a specific MAC address to get a specific IP and then it’s assigned something else. I believe that I’ve done all correctly. Can someone suggest where I could be off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks in advance

cp root

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ActionTek MI424-WR & Static IPs via DHCP
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do this all the time with my systems (both PC's and Mac's) and it works exactly as advertised.    So ... although what you describe looks correct, there must be something askew.

Couple things to try ...

First, where are you checking for the entries?   In the network summary page or on the actual DHCP static assignment page?   Make sure you're looking on the assignment page as that's what's actually be given out.

Second, before adding the desired static address, delete the dynamic entry that's present in the DHCP list so that there are no entries showing with your desired systems mac address.  Don't worry, this won't release the currently assigned dynamic address, so you can continue to work.

Now add the entry on the static page given the entry a name (do not leave it blank), the desired IP address (must be on the same subnet as the router), and the correct colon seperated Mac address -- paying particular attention to include all leading zeros, and knowing that all values are the digits 0-9 or letters a-f only.   Make sure in entering the mac address that you are entering the address of the physical interface you are actually using (most Mac's for instance have both a wired and wireless interface with different addresses -- and BOTH will DHCP up an address if left active or plugged in -- disable the interface you aren't using.    On the Mac, the wired connection will usually take precedence over the wireless connection -- depends on the order the interfaces are showing in the network settings.

Once the entry has been made, saved, and applied (there should be an entry showing in the table with an expired lease state), go into network settings and RELEASE the current DHCP address and then have it obtain a new one -- the system will attempt to continue to use the old address if it's not in use if possible unless you first release it manually.

I have all of my "server" type systems and my printers statically assigned using DHCP reservations (makes it easier to change things around rather than using statics and having to go around to each device whenever I want to change something).  I totally understand why you want to use the reservation process instead of the static process.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

This is just a guess but I would change the IP adress of the ActionTec to be OUTSIDE the range of DHCP addresses you give it to distribute. For example, my Actiontec is set to 192.168.1.1 (the default) but the DHCP range it uses is 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.30.

0 Likes
rOotstein

Doooh. Musta fat fingered...

Router is xxx.xxx.xxx.1

DHCP range start is xxx.xxx.xxx.10

My bad. Sorry.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

I didn't read this closely, but I think I saw your static addresses were within your range of dynamic addresss.  They should be outside the dynamic range. And the devices should be set to not try to get an address through DhCP but be set up statically.

0 Likes
rOotstein

Hey there Weedeater!

Thanks much!

Only I did it both ways and it didn't make a difference.

I made my DHCP range 172.16.5.100-172.15.5.150 and my static DHCP 172.16.5.15. Didn't matter. Still wouldn't bind to the MAC address.

Also, I know it sounds strange, but I actually WANT to use DHCP... only I want the IP to be static based on the MAC address of the host. DHCP picks up DNS info from Verizon on the WAN side of things and I really don't want to hard code each of my hosts with that plus the IP info. (Pro & Cons, I know...)

So, I was going to use the Static IP option in the DHCP server for my LAN in the MI424WR. Only it's not actually binding the IP I select to the MAC address.

Am I not understanding what this option is supposed to do, or am I implimenting it wrong or does it just not work and isn't documented?

thxs!

cheers

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do this all the time with my systems (both PC's and Mac's) and it works exactly as advertised.    So ... although what you describe looks correct, there must be something askew.

Couple things to try ...

First, where are you checking for the entries?   In the network summary page or on the actual DHCP static assignment page?   Make sure you're looking on the assignment page as that's what's actually be given out.

Second, before adding the desired static address, delete the dynamic entry that's present in the DHCP list so that there are no entries showing with your desired systems mac address.  Don't worry, this won't release the currently assigned dynamic address, so you can continue to work.

Now add the entry on the static page given the entry a name (do not leave it blank), the desired IP address (must be on the same subnet as the router), and the correct colon seperated Mac address -- paying particular attention to include all leading zeros, and knowing that all values are the digits 0-9 or letters a-f only.   Make sure in entering the mac address that you are entering the address of the physical interface you are actually using (most Mac's for instance have both a wired and wireless interface with different addresses -- and BOTH will DHCP up an address if left active or plugged in -- disable the interface you aren't using.    On the Mac, the wired connection will usually take precedence over the wireless connection -- depends on the order the interfaces are showing in the network settings.

Once the entry has been made, saved, and applied (there should be an entry showing in the table with an expired lease state), go into network settings and RELEASE the current DHCP address and then have it obtain a new one -- the system will attempt to continue to use the old address if it's not in use if possible unless you first release it manually.

I have all of my "server" type systems and my printers statically assigned using DHCP reservations (makes it easier to change things around rather than using statics and having to go around to each device whenever I want to change something).  I totally understand why you want to use the reservation process instead of the static process.

0 Likes
rOotstein

Hey there lasagna!

I think it was late and I was being rather impatient when I first did this. I attempted it again last night and had much more success. I think that my problems were just latency in caching, network and the OS's.

I did all the steps you suggest and didn't give the network time to 'settle' before I expected certain results. Last night, when I tried it again, I was suprised to find things responding as I would have expected when I didn't rush anything. (Building a network spreadsheet also helped confirm that my results WERE correct; IP numbers and MAC addresses tend to blur after a bit...)

I need to check again tonight but I think I'm actually all set. 

Interesting thought on the MacOS side that you sorta touched on... wonder if there's a way to force more than one interface to the same IP? I.E. my MacBookPro Ethernet address would be the same as the AirPort address. If both were turned on, it would cause issues with the MBP, of course, but that then leaves it up to the user to be sure only one is active at a time (easily built in the Network System Preferences configuration).

Thanks again!
cheers 

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The only way to do that would be to statically assign both addresses and not use DHCP ... but you're right, you would then have an IP address conflict.  I would simply configure your setup to use the interface you most often have connected, and just treat the scenario where you were only connected by the other as the system being "offline" and ignoring it.  

I use a small script which senses when the wired ethernet interface is connected and automatically shuts down the wireless interface and likewise when it senses the ethernet inferface offline turns on the wireless.   This keeps the MBP from consuming two addresses and allows me to make sure that the wired connection is always preferred over the wireless when available.  This, of course, rules out connecting your system to two different networks simulatenously (such as a wired work network and a wireless public network), but in general that's a "good" thing.   I can force the wireless active in such scenarios by manually turning it back on and the script recognizes that act and leaves it alone after that until the ethernet transitions one full off/on cycle.

0 Likes
zeke_44

Thanks for the help in creating static addresses.

Could you tell me how to manually release the current DHCP? Are you referring to the lease for the entire router?

Thanks.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes