Re: Activation of CAT 5 ports
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

1 - Yes

2 - generally we would place a toner at the outlet end and using an amplified probe disconnect one pair of wires at a time to isolate each wire.

3 - Looking at teh jack, the look like they are wired correctly.

Up to this point we have been talking about your original topic, re=using the original cat5 jacks.   If thsi seems to be too big of a project, there is another option.  Presently your internet is being fed by coax, which means that all the jacks habe broadband capability.  This means you can plug your router into any of the coax wires shared withthe set top boxes.

There is a device called a Motorola NIM100.  THey are not easy to com by but work pretty nicely.  Basically the way they work is coax feeds into the modem, and the modem has an ethernet port on the back to which you plug in your computer. 

You could in essence get a hi band bi-directional splitter connect the input from the wall to the input of the splitter, connect the outputs one to the set top box, and the other to the Motorola NIM100, which would then connect to the computer.

Just a thought if this job seems overwhelming.

0 Likes
D1

The Motorola NIM100 sounds like a great option but, would I need each of these units in each room where I want the jacks activated? And are they only for rooms with a set top box?

Lastly, you said the wall panel with the CAT 5 port appears to be wired correctly but, the color sequence on the port doesn't match the sequence on the ethernet cable. For example, the color to the far right of the ethernet cable (not the one in the previous picture) is solid brown; while the color of the wire in the same position on the CAT 5 port is a solid white. The color to the far left of the ethernet cable is white with an orange stripe; the color of the wire in the same position on the CAT 5 port is green.

Are they supposed to match up?

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

The Nim100 will connect to where ever you have an active coax.  No set top box needed.

As for the Cat5 wiring, I would think the colors should match up.  I don't work enough with ethernet to say for sure.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

D1

If you have CAT5 Ethernet Jacks installed at each location, and remove the cable from the phone splitter in your junction box, you can have phone and ethernet over the same CAT5 cable. 

Phone and ethernet is done like this in comercial aplications all the time.

There are a number of products that do this. You could have Cat 5 Ethernet, RJ 11 Phone and COAX connector on each wall plate with your existing CAT 5 wire. You would need a telco / network technician that knows how to do this. I had a wiring example out there somewhere but have not been able to locate it for do it yourself. I don't remember the pairs off the top of my head.

Or terminate both ends of the CAT5 cable like an ethernet cable and use this link to locate the splitters. http://dual-comm.com/RJ45_RJ11_Cable_Share.htm

Single line phone uses only one pair. You have 4 pair on CAT5 and Ethernet only uses two pair. So you could have provisions for a two line phone and ethernet.

Message Edited by prisaz on 01-27-2009 03:35 PM
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

D1

Here are some more examples. I looked for the book I had but it's under something. I just typed a long example but it vanished. So here are some links.

http://www.mavromatic.com/archives/000458

http://www.derose.net/steve/guides/wiring/#phone

Message Edited by prisaz on 01-27-2009 04:32 PM
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
One more thing. Adding telephone to CAT5 does break some rules for CAT5 Ethernet. And also puts high ringer voltages on the line. So care must be taken not to cross anything up. Or smoke could come out. Just thought I would throw that in before someone else does.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
Using the shared configuration....does this limit the data flow with less conductors?
0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2
Yes, if you share the wire, Ethernet will NOT do 1GB then.  So, if you share the Cat-5, later when you go to upgrade to 1GB, it will NOT work.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@philhu wrote:
Yes, if you share the wire, Ethernet will NOT do 1GB then.  So, if you share the Cat-5, later when you go to upgrade to 1GB, it will NOT work.
True. But your should not do gigabit over cat 5 anyway. It should be at a minimum CAT5e or CAT6 for gigabit. My example was for standard CAT5 and should work great for anything FIOS can deliver. I know it works good at 10mbps and 100mbps. I doubt any runs in most homes would be anywhere near 100meter limit for CAT5, so it should be fairty clean. Crosstalk is all that may be an issue. 10/100 only uses 4 wires, so conductors have nothing to do with it, unless you use the wrong pairs, or cross the wires up.
Here are links to the OpenHouseSystems web site that makes the product shown in the posted photos. This item would match your existing products.
 Page that shows a telco CAT5 network bridge that would connect your phone lines and also provide Ethernet ports to run from your switch or router.
These links should clear up any questions of how it can be done. Good luck and enjoy FIOS.
Message Edited by prisaz on 01-29-2009 04:11 PM
0 Likes
chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3

Jumping in a little late here (just hooked up Monday) but the way that the wires are hooked up at the wall plate looks correct they are most likely wired to the 568 A standard.

This is the order that they are at the jack.  You will see that the Blue pair (Blue, Blue/white) are in the middle with the orange pair split on either side and the two other colors are laid out on either side.  Its done this way for a reason that doesn't need to be explained here. At the panel they don't have to be in this order because the distribution box that they are connected to figures it all out.

The Distribution boxes look like they wire all the pairs together so a phone will work in any room which is right for a phone but not Ethernet.

What I would do is figure out which wires go to which room.  You can try to see if there is any kind of a numbers on the wire or the box

For the ones that you want to be on Ethernet you would remove then from the telephone panel and hook them up to a small patch panel using the 568 a color code that will be on the panel. 

Sorry I can't find a good pic of one but they are at places like home depot.  You then relocate the actiontec to the panel and hookup the patch panel to the Ethernet ports on the actiontec with short ethernet cables.

If you Google home networking there are tons of sites that explain everything.  the hardest part is figuring out what cable goes to what.

I'm surprised that networking cable wasn't run with the phone cabling and that they used network RJ45 jacks (8 position) at the wall jacks for phones and not RJ1 (4 position) which make it that much more confusing.

Message Edited by chartle on 02-04-2009 07:14 AM
0 Likes