Re: Add a WiFi modem to the Actiontec M1424WR
SpeedThree
Contributor - Level 1

I will test out all your suggestions tonite and report back with the results tomorrow morning.

Thanks to all for all the input and helpful suggestios.

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

I imagine you are loosing a lot of packets trying to communicate via 3 floors on wifi. This means that the destination server is going to keep requesting the missing information until it gets it all. When it is trying to do this during peak usage times it is likely compounding the problem. You said it is not possible to run a line all the way down there but even if you could get a second router on the middle level that might help out a lot. would it be too ugly to run a cable on the outside of your house like on the siding? Just some thoughts.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Back to your original problem SpeedThree, one solution you might consider trying is a pair of powerline network adapters.  That would be an easy way to get a wired connection from the top floor to the basement.

Here's an example of one such adapter at Amazon:  http://tinyurl.com/m2evwxv

Powerline adapters have some limitations.   Performance can be reduced by noise on a building's electrical wiring, and the adapters at both ends have to be plugged into outlets on the same phase of the buildings a/c system.  That means outlets on both ends have to be on the same side of the house's main circuit breaker panel. 

But I've used them with decent results in the past and it might be worth a try.

logan81
Contributor - Level 3
Not to be down on your idea, but I would be surprised if powerline adapters worked 3 floors down. I have seen power line adapters not work from one room to another. I am not an electrician though so I couldn't say if this would work or not.
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

A powerline adapter won't work from two outlets in the same room if both of those outlets aren't on the same phase of the building's power wiring.

Most residential power in the U.S. is 220-240 volt two phase.  One phase feeds each half of the main circuit breaker panel.  Individual 110 volt circuit breakers are on one phase or othe other of the main feed.  220-240 devices, such as air conditioning motors, have a feed from both sides of the CB panel and use both phases.

In the case of the power line adapter, the signal can't bridge between two different 110v circuits that are hooked up to different sides of the main CB panel. 

Here's the bottom line to me:  I've had reasonable results with power line adapters and so have other people I know.  The OP could give it a try, or not.  I don't see that there's much to lose, especially if they buy the adapters from someplace where they can return them if they don't work.

As always..... different strokes for different folks. Smiley Wink

SpeedThree
Contributor - Level 1
0 Likes
SpeedThree
Contributor - Level 1

eljefe wrote:

A powerline adapter won't work from two outlets in the same room if both of those outlets aren't on the same phase of the building's power wiring.

Most residential power in the U.S. is 220-240 volt two phase.  One phase feeds each half of the main circuit breaker panel.  Individual 110 volt circuit breakers are on one phase or othe other of the main feed.  220-240 devices, such as air conditioning motors, have a feed from both sides of the CB panel and use both phases.

In the case of the power line adapter, the signal can't bridge between two different 110v circuits that are hooked up to different sides of the main CB panel. 

Here's the bottom line to me:  I've had reasonable results with power line adapters and so have other people I know.  The OP could give it a try, or not.  I don't see that there's much to lose, especially if they buy the adapters from someplace where they can return them if they don't work.

As always..... different strokes for different folks. Smiley Wink

I had considered this and done some invesigating.  I initially thought that both ends of fhese Inernet-Over-Powerlines devices would have to be on the same circuit/circuit breaker.  On another well regarded networking site, however,I was told that the wiring all comes togeher at the circuit breaker panel, so it would work.  If I take this route, I will purchase the units from a local computer store with a 30-day return guaranee on anything you buy so long as you bring back all the original packaging.  

0 Likes
SpeedThree
Contributor - Level 1

Having done all this research before deciding to buy the Actiontec Advanced WiFi Router, I now have had someone tell me that this Actiontec is not dual band.

Is this true and if so, wouldn't I be better off purchasing a good, reliable dual-band router and hook it into my present Actiontec router and turning off the WiFi on the Actiontec???

Thanks

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SpeedThree wrote:

Having done all this research before deciding to buy the Actiontec Advanced WiFi Router, I now have had someone tell me that this Actiontec is not dual band.

Is this true and if so, wouldn't I be better off purchasing a good, reliable dual-band router and hook it into my present Actiontec router and turning off the WiFi on the Actiontec???

Thanks

yes and yes

there is no need to turn off the wifi on the actiontec, you are allowed to have multiple access points.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@SpeedThree wrote:

Thanks

I'm not sure which of your two problems you're thinking the dual band router will solve, but let say that a 5 GHz signal is less likely to penetrate walls/floors than a 2.4 GHz connection.

A dual band router won't likely solve your problem of getting better service in your lower floor.

0 Likes