Adding a device to the fios router configuration
rbsorensen
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Fios router (model G3100) and need to add a device to the DHCP configuration by its MAC address so that DHCP will supply a fixed IP address to the device.

There is no capability in the Device list to add additional units, and in looking through all of the menu options there doesn't seem to be any way of doing this.  I can add a host name under the DNS Server item, but it just accepts the name of the host and not its MAC address.

How can I add a device to the router via its MAC address?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Adding a device to the fios router configuration
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

After logging into it, go to Advanced -> Network Settings -> IPv4 Address Distribution -> Connection List.

Likewise for IPv6: Go to Advanced -> Network Settings -> IPv6 Address Distribution -> Connection List.

REF manual / user's guide https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/content/dam/verizon/support/consumer/documents/internet/fio...

Page 145 and 146 of 191 pages.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

After logging into it, go to Advanced -> Network Settings -> IPv4 Address Distribution -> Connection List.

Likewise for IPv6: Go to Advanced -> Network Settings -> IPv6 Address Distribution -> Connection List.

REF manual / user's guide https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/content/dam/verizon/support/consumer/documents/internet/fio...

Page 145 and 146 of 191 pages.

rbsorensen
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks - that works

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you are trying to do is called DHCP reservation. This is different from static IP assignment. One downside of this configuration is that when the DHCP server goes down, all hosts with a dynamic IP address goes down with it eventually. To setup a static IP address, you need to configure the address on the device themselves.