Adding add'l router(s) to home, question.
Kingofwylietx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Background:

I recently upgraded to 75/75 internet service.  I bought the G1100 (Quantum Gateway) to try to get a better wifi signal.  Verizon also sent their MI424WR-I (Gen 3) router as part of the Quantum Internet package.  I installed the G1100.

I am getting my WAN over coax.  Can I add the MI424WR-I to my upstairs for the only purpose of being ethernetted (real word?) to my bluray player for Netflix?  I don't get a great signal upstairs. My thought is to go from coax to a splitter (one coax to my settop box, one coax to my MI424WR-I).  I will hardwire the bluray to the MI424WR-I so I'm not using wifi.  I'd like to then disable the wifi on the MI424WR-I.

Do you think that will work?

If the above works...........I'd also like to use my old Verizon router (not sure of rev) to do the same thing (coax to ethernet to a pc, disable wifi) to connect to my pc in another room.

Thoughts?  I'm not much of a neworker...it took me a while to connect my downstairs bluray to the new G1100 over ethernet because of some settings.  The only router I want using wifi is the G1100.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Adding add'l router(s) to home, question.
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You should fine directions to do what your hoping to accomplish here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984

Or, if your willing to spend a few $$$ to make life easier, do a search for Actiontec ECB2500C.  It's a MoCA adapater that is plug-and-play.  No configuring involved and  tt would give you an Ethernet output for your upstairs BluRay player.

View solution in original post

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You should fine directions to do what your hoping to accomplish here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984

Or, if your willing to spend a few $$$ to make life easier, do a search for Actiontec ECB2500C.  It's a MoCA adapater that is plug-and-play.  No configuring involved and  tt would give you an Ethernet output for your upstairs BluRay player.

Kingofwylietx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, eljefe.

I had a Verizon tech out for a separate network issue.  While he was there, I explained my network configuration to him.  He had an Actiontec Moca adapter in his van........and just gave it to me.  SCORE!! 

He fixed the separate issue (replaced my ONT), left, and I ran upstairs to install the adapter.  It was a simple plug and play event.....now everything is working perfectly.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Wow!  With that kind of luck you should go buy a lottery ticket!  Smiley Very Happy

Glad your problem is solved.

0 Likes