Adding additional Mi424WR router?
simonx1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have one Mi424WR router in my room. It runs coax connection to the cable box and ethernet to my computer.

Now I would like to build a HTPC box in my living room,

The TV in the living room also runs coax connection, my question is If i buy another Mi424WR router from ebay, can I connect that coax wire to the new router and ethernet to the HTPC box?

Will there be any conflict between the two Mi424WR routers? and HOW?

the two Mi424WR routers, can It be different models?

Thanks!!!!

0 Likes
Re: Adding additional Mi424WR router?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I would suggest you add an Actiontec MoCA adapter instead of another router.  You can find them on eBay for ~$80.

You'd have to simply split the cable going to your TV.  One output from the splitter would go to the input of the MoCA adapter.  The output from the MoCA adapter is Ethernet and could go to your HTPC server.   The MoCA adapter requires no configuration.  You just hook it up, plug it in to a/c, and it plays.

I use a similar setup.  I have a simple switch fed by an Actiontec HME2200 adapter.  The output of the switch feeds a Roku box, Wii game console, and a WAP for that end of the house.   Works great.  Lasts a long time.  Smiley Wink

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@simonx wrote:

I currently have one Mi424WR router in my room. It runs coax connection to the cable box and ethernet to my computer.

Now I would like to build a HTPC box in my living room,

The TV in the living room also runs coax connection, my question is If i buy another Mi424WR router from ebay, can I connect that coax wire to the new router and ethernet to the HTPC box?

Will there be any conflict between the two Mi424WR routers? and HOW?

the two Mi424WR routers, can It be different models?

Thanks!!!!

Think you need one of these - Actiontec ECB2200 ethernet over coax MoCA network adapter

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=192

0 Likes
simonx1
Enthusiast - Level 2

those adapter runs a little expensive for me.  I found some used Mi424WR router on ebay for like $20-$30 bucks. Will it work the same as those adapter with some tweaks?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I guess it should.

I seem to recall that the actiontec router couldn't be configured for bridging mode so you would have to set it up as a second subnet - 192.168.x    where x is anything other than 1.  After that it should also work as as a second wap if you wanted it to.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@simonx wrote:

those adapter runs a little expensive for me.  I found some used Mi424WR router on ebay for like $20-$30 bucks. Will it work the same as those adapter with some tweaks?

You can do it but it's not as simple as is using a MoCA adapter.

Check out this FAQ at dlsreports:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

Good luck.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:

I guess it should.

I seem to recall that the actiontec router couldn't be configured for bridging mode so you would have to set it up as a second subnet - 192.168.x    where x is anything other than 1.  After that it should also work as as a second wap if you wanted it to.

**bleep** me, should never answer questions in the early morning!

Of course you can't do that.  What I said is totally incorrct as the coax side is on the WAN so to do it you would have to acquire 2 dhcp addresses from Verizon which you can't do.

Either the coax actiontec adapters, power line adapter (not recommended) or wireless extender, I assume there is no ethernet port where you want to get to as it is the best route.

Funny how the VZ political corrector doesn't allow me to call myself s t u p i d and bleeps it out. 

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go get some coffee viafax999 ...

Your first comment was actually correct ... the ActionTec has an internal MoCA interface which can be configured for BOTH a LAN MoCA and WAN MoCA interface with the LAN MoCA bridged to the phyiscal LAN and wireless network inside the ActionTec.

Simply disable the WAN interface portion of the MoCA and use just the LAN side (don't use the ActionTec as a NAT router, just as switch).  The LAN interfaces are then on the same subnet as the main LAN from the primary ActionTec.

Someone referenced a DSLreports link somewhere along the way which describes how to do this.   I will say however that as a user with an ECB2200 -- I have very happy with this zero-configurion scenarion -- plug it in and it just works.  I would highly recommend it.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lasagna wrote:

Go get some coffee viafax999 ...

Your first comment was actually correct ... the ActionTec has an internal MoCA interface which can be configured for BOTH a LAN MoCA and WAN MoCA interface with the LAN MoCA bridged to the phyiscal LAN and wireless network inside the ActionTec.

Simply disable the WAN interface portion of the MoCA and use just the LAN side (don't use the ActionTec as a NAT router, just as switch).  The LAN interfaces are then on the same subnet as the main LAN from the primary ActionTec.

Someone referenced a DSLreports link somewhere along the way which describes how to do this.   I will say however that as a user with an ECB2200 -- I have very happy with this zero-configurion scenarion -- plug it in and it just works.  I would highly recommend it.

It was after the coffee that I wrote the second response!

I've never looked at that side of the moca router configuration, never realized that you could configure the moca connect for lan only.  An Ebay cheapie actually does make for a cheap wireless extender, I assume the wireless side on the second router can still be active?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

They can ... the LAN switch, MoCA LAN, and Wireless AP are all bridged together on the "LAN" side of the ActionTec by default.   Likewise, the MoCA WAN and Ethernet WAN port are bridged together on the "WAN" side of the ActionTec.

You effectively are using the ActionTec as a simple bridge (just like you can use other NAT routers such as a Linksys, etc. as just an access point instead of a NAT router -- a waste of resources, but still functional).  In this particular exercise, you need to be certain to disable the MoCA WAN interface so that it doesn't try to steal the primary IP being assigned to the main ActionTec.