Additional Router hook up
MarkG138
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will shortly be working from home and my company have given me a router to use to create a VPN.  How do I hook up this along with the FIOS router?

Also if the current cable is not long enough to go to where I need it, can I just buy a new coax cable or do I have to have Verizon install a new cable?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Additional Router hook up
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Connect from a LAN port on the Actiontec to the WAN port of your copany's router.

Make sure that the LAN subnet of your company''s router is OTHER than 192.168.1.x. 

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should be able to plug your VPN router into a LAN port on the Actiontec router.  If it doesn't connect, you may need to contact your IT department to find out if the VPN router supports connections through a home router.

The Verizon router can plug into any active coax jack in your home.  You can use longer cables or splitters as needed.  Be sure to purchase good quality cables.  Splitters should be rated for 1GHz or higher.

If you want to have a jack installed in the wall, Verizon or a local contractor can do that work.  Verizon will charge to do this work; they may be more expensive than a contractor.  You should price out several options before deciding what to do.

Good Luck.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Connect from a LAN port on the Actiontec to the WAN port of your copany's router.

Make sure that the LAN subnet of your company''s router is OTHER than 192.168.1.x.