Re: Advanced Wi-Fi Router....Several Questions...
drdumont1

@logan8 wrote:
Something that really factors into the value of the Verizon router is that if it breaks then verizon will replace it for free as long as you have the service, Best Buy is not going to give you the same consideration.

"Verizon will replace it for free". Har. See thread a few notches down.

0 Likes
freecrusher

Number 3 informative I have 75/35 plan and look forwad to a free upgrade will let you know what happens.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@freecrusher wrote:

Number 3 informative I have 75/35 plan and look forwad to a free upgrade will let you know what happens.

Is your router broken?

if not, don't expect a free upgrade any time soon as the old 100mb routers will easily support your plan.

0 Likes
engrbill47

My question about this "new & improved" router is more old school. I do not give a rats patoot about wi-fi. Is the router any better that the one that we got when FIOS first arrived in San Dimas, CA, more than 3 years ago? The service seems to slooooow down during the day, propably from many users on our street.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@engrbill47 wrote:

Is the router any better that the one that we got when FIOS first arrived in San Dimas, CA,

That's impossible to say without knowing the hardware revision level of your router.

What speed tier you're on (you didn't say) also factors in to whether the newest router would be an improvement.

Any time of day slow down, is NOT due to your router.

0 Likes
dbergsr

I basically have the same question about this router and one comment.

I have 75/35 and do not experiaence any of the previously mentioned problems except having to reset my router once in a while.  But even when I had Brighthouse, I had to do that.  When I read the ad for this new advanced router, it says you will have better wireless performance.  The only thing I use wireless for is to network my printer throughout the house.  Otherwise all of my pc's are hardwired, because no wireless is as good as a straight in connection.  So, what will I gain?

But, the ad also says you will gain better performance for your FIOS service.  Isn't that what I pay these big bucks for already?  If I purchase and use this router will I get a credit on my monthly bill for not using the Actiontek?  Sounds like if this thing is to maximize my FIOS service, it should already be provided.  And why do they keep discontinuing service, like Media Manager?  I loved that thing, and they did not replace it with anything.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dbergsr wrote:

I basically have the same question about this router and one comment.

But, the ad also says you will gain better performance for your FIOS service.  Isn't that what I pay these big bucks for already?  If I purchase and use this router will I get a credit on my monthly bill for not using the Actiontek?  Sounds like if this thing is to maximize my FIOS service, it should already be provided.  And why do they keep discontinuing service, like Media Manager?  I loved that thing, and they did not replace it with anything.

You are 100% correct.  For your 75/35 tier with hardwired machines the new router will gain you absolutely NOTHING.

That's why when you, I and others upgraded to 75/35 we were not given new routers.  If we had upgraded to a 100 or grater service we would have received a free new router.  The $99 router charge will only affect the wirless side  and personally I would believe it would be far cheaper to just buy a wireless-n access point of your choice and use that.

0 Likes