Advertising by Address
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It seems that as of last night, Verizon has semingly begun to send out e-mails stating they are working with an advertising company to deliver tailored ads to you based on Geographic location (otherwise, address). I know some of you might be in disagreement over there, but as outlined by birdfeedr over at DSLReports, this link should serve as an opt-out for this type of advertising. I opted out, since there is no point in giving that info to advertisers when I don't see ads anyways.

http://www22.verizon.com/foryourhome/myaccount/protected/account/MyAccountGeography.aspx

Re: Advertising by Address
wherestheanykey
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would be in full support of ads based on geography, if the advertisers they're partnering with weren't total and utter buffoons.

Knowing what I like and trying to sell me something based on my interests (despite how unobtainable it may be) is forgivable.

Knowing where I live and trying to sell me something I couldn't care less about is just plain obnoxious.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

This program just plain doesn't make sense.  I do not want advertiser's having my physical address nor do I want Verizon sharing it with others.     This creates a way to remove anonimity in browsing habits by allowing an advertiser to reasonably associate the identity of the customer (or at least the family) based from the phyiscal street address. 

I'm all for geographically relevant advertising, but that can easily be done using the IP of the client system (for which Verizon has the ability to publish geo-location information at least down the the city level) without ever sharing the real physical street address of the customer with an advertiser.    Advertisers don't need to know any more than the city or general neighborhood of an IP address in order to be able to more effectively target an advertisement.

0 Likes
knahs

The link just sends you to the log in and then to your email.  So where do you opt out?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In the past it never did that. Try logging into MyVerizon first, and then clicking on the link. If not, check the Account section of your MyVerizon account for the link to that page.

0 Likes