Re: iOS 8 unable to download due to Verizon FiOS throttling
dipaola
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried all thr DNS changes and they dont work, and my internet is now becoming intermittent....hopefully FIOS tech can assist tomorrow when he comes for my schedule appointment.

0 Likes
jdbartram

Just to add my two cents,

One of the fixes that has worked is to change the DNS server that you use. This page has a list of alternative DNS server iPs,

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/free-public-dns-servers.htm

I changed the DNS servers in the Actiontec Router. The sign in info is on the label. Go to Main, My Network, Network Connections, click Edit on Broadband Connection, then Settings. Change DNS Server from Automatic to Use the following ... and enter the IP address from the link above.

I first tried Google, then Level3, then OpenDNS Home. The first two had no effect, but with the third, instead of indicating that the download would take 34 hours, it said 8 minutes which turned out to be accurate. I now have iOS 8 on my iPad. Apparently, it is somewhat random which DNS server will work, and some have reported that while one DNS server worked well for one download, it did not work so well later. This has happened to me. When I try to download the iOS update for my iPhone, I am back to (now) a 62 hour estimated download time. I will probably try some more different DNS servers to see if I can get it done, or else just give up and go somewhere tomorrow where Verizon FiOS is not the Internet provider. 

0 Likes
hclyatt

People keep suggesting to change your DNS, which doesn't work for everyone. There are also Verizon apologists out there stating that Apple should have paid up for a better peering agreement. But you know what we are all Verizon customers and should not have to modify our DNS settings or even care about peering agreements. We all pay Verizon good money for our internet connections and deserve to be treated better than pawns in a chess game between these giant corporations.

0 Likes
curthess

totally ridiculous...and it isn't like Verizon isn't aware of this! Been trying for 4 days...will stop at ATT/McDonalds tomorrow. It is this kind of behavior that the FCC should do some serious fines! 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

FYI, saw this in another forum, it might help those that tried the previously listed DNS's

Great advice. Google DNS server did not work for me. Used the following link:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/free-public-dns-servers.htm

Chose Level3 DNS (209.244.0.3). Downloaded in minutes (instead of hours)

0 Likes
edtorrey1
Enthusiast - Level 1

rjw246 - right on point - Thank You.  My download is looking like it will finish before I finish writing this.  

On my MacOSX tried 20-30 times to download iOS8 via iTunes from yesterday evening.  I read your piece, added Google DNS to my Mac's Airport WiFi connection that is how I am connected, applied the change, and simplty stopped and started the iTunes download.  Done.

0 Likes
joelforman1

Changing to theGoogle DNS server 8.8.8.8 worked like a charm! 

Does anyone know if there are any issues leaving the DNS server on this? Are there security issues? Are there speed issues with other URLs? Should I change it back after the update is complete?

I tested my speed on Fios with the google server and got 57.46 mps up and 63.46 mps up! My service is 50/50 so that seems awesome!

Thanks for any thoughts and thanks for the solution to my iOS 8 update download struggles!

0 Likes
Stop throttling Apple Update traffic
JimKPhilly1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't understand why Verizon would be blocking or severely throttling the traffic related to apple software updates. On all of my computers/devices, trying to install or update applications from Apple take a ridiculously long time (a 1.5GB download over FIOS was listed as going to take 2-3 days to download!). As soon as I activate a VPN connection on any of the devices, the speed immediately improves (the 1.5GB download took less than 10 minutes on the VPN connection). I don't notice this with anyother service (though I suspect Netflix is slower than it should be). 

Please stop throttling our traffic. We're paying for bandwidth each month, not the bandwidth that Verizon decides we should get to use.

0 Likes
nightfly1

I just had an internet chat with a Fios service person.  She told me it is Apple's problem that I cannot download IOS 8 over Fios, and told me to call them..

Really poor customer service; it seems Verizon isn't owning up to the problem.

0 Likes
Re: All Apple updates time out. But through a VPN, it's fine!
JimKPhilly1
Enthusiast - Level 2
I did set the GoogleDNS first, and tried openDNS as well. No difference until I used VPN.
0 Likes