Re: alter.net issues continue for months - verizon doesn't care
nick_d
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nope. no resolution. Occasionally now I can get 11MBps from a Miami based Akamai edge ftp but Netflix still drops to standard def intermittently or pauses several times to buffer in the evening. If you do a search you can even see where Netflix compained about Verizon's bully tactics. We are at school trying to get to the other side of the playground so we can see Netflix and iTunes but Verizon is sitting in the middle, having erected a razorwire fence across the entire area aside from a single gate at which they are saying, 'if you wanna pass through here Netflix needs to give us all their lunch money' even though we already give Verizon our lunch money  (for me it's nearly $400 per month!!) AND pay Netflix, iTunes, Amazon, Hulu, etc for the service. 

The FCC chairman is supporting an internet fast lane premium which he is dullusional about saying it won't encourage large ISPs to demand a higher amount for faster throughput but it sure lays out that way.  I wonder why he is taking the side of telcom's who want nothing more than to charge both the requestor of and sender of data. Oh that's right, because he is a former lobbyist FOR THE TELCOMS. How is that looking out for the consumers best interest?

Verizon is correct that they don't actively impede data at their peering points, they just open as few ports as possible and when those become saturated they turn a blind eye unless the content provider has paid a premium to reach more of their clients faster. Google FIber can't expand fast enough --- at least they are fighting for true net neutrality.

I have brought this to Verizon's attention in forums, in chats, in phone calls to tech support, on facebook and on twitter. I get a generic reply every time saying they can't control the speeds outside their network. Of course not... just like I can't control the water pressure of the city but I can unkink the hose and let it flow unobstructed for the best performance.

0 Likes
luxedesign

I am so **bleep** about this problem I am on the phone with liquidweb.com getting all this info right now for months I have been on freakout and verizon is just STUPID, I want a credit for my internet for 3 mos minimally for the frustration dealing with Verizon. Today I had to reluctantly pay the bill - because the person in retentions {please keep your posts courteous} can't accept that it's not me or my server or my connection or whatever else - the time I've spent circumventing this is worth a LOT of money to me and it's embarassing to have to make any kind of excuse to anyone about your 'internet connection' Verizon - when Obamacare called to see if I wais available to fix a healthcare site, I didn't say my internet might be on the rocks.... I can't handle your Business TV price, for TV I barely watch so I have residential. You need a support option for residential that ISNT premium nor is it designed for grandma not knowing where the start button is. Or now orb or whatever else. I am not nuts obviously as I heard you guys BOUGHT OUT alter.net this AM - but I AM STILL HAVING THE PROBLEM EVEN THOUGH ON THE VERIZON END THE ISSUE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN FOUND AS SOLVED TOTALLY. Next post is my latest trace.

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
luxedesign
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>tracert limopostmaster.com

Tracing route to limopostmaster.com [69.16.208.193]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     7 ms     6 ms     7 ms  L100.NWRKNJ-VFTTP-168.verizon-gni.net [108.35.18
7.1]
  3    11 ms    13 ms    15 ms  G0-3-5-2.NWRKNJ-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [130.81.1
82.196]
  4    38 ms     8 ms     7 ms  ae0-0.NWRK-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.209.1
54]
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8    60 ms    55 ms    93 ms  0.ae1.XL3.CHI13.ALTER.NET [140.222.225.179]
  9    34 ms    27 ms    28 ms  TenGigE0-6-0-6.GW5.CHI13.ALTER.NET [152.63.64.21
0]
 10    21 ms    24 ms    23 ms  giglinx-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.92.62]
 11    32 ms    31 ms    31 ms  lw-dc2-core6-te9-2.rtr.liquidweb.com [209.59.157
.226]
 12    31 ms    33 ms    39 ms  lw-dc3-dist15.rtr.liquidweb.com [69.167.128.205]

13    32 ms    33 ms    32 ms  limopostmaster.com [69.16.208.193]

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\system32>.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

That tracert really doesn't show what your ISP is talking about.

When someone at a high level is diagnosing traceroutes, you need both path's.   Do you BY Chance have or can get a trace from liquidweb back to you.

This is a a good indepth ts guide  - If liquidweb never did a trace back to you, then the guy you're talkling to might not know how to diagnose connections issues like that.

https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog45/presentations/Sunday/RAS_traceroute_N45.pdf

Few people are skilled at interpreting traceroute

Most ISP NOCs and even most mid-level engineering staff are

not able to correctly interpret complex traceroutes.

This leads to a significant number of misdiagnosed issues and

“false reports”, which flood the NOCs of networks worldwide.

In many cases the problem of false reports is so bad, it is all

but impossible for a knowledgeable outside party to submit a

traceroute related ticket about a real issue

If you can get that tracert, to and from we could probably nail it down or pinpoint it for you. In general though, you can always email NOC@verizon.com if you feel it's really an issue on their end.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

BTW, have you tried getting a new route?

If you can access your router, do the following, and you'll hopefully be working in 5 minutes.

Actiontec MI424-WR - RELEASE DHCP
Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.
Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.
Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.
Click SETTINGS
Click RELEASE
Click APPLY
Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease ---- wait at least 7-10 minutes NO LESS, and turn it all back on and try again

0 Likes
luxedesign

LW is the only company that DOES know what they are doing TBH.

I know that we both did traces - that's how we both discovered the problem frankly, LW has their own ticket in w/ Verizon - apparently all LW's tech support has been made aware of the issue now because it's affecting literally all their customers. 

I believe the TR back from them is somewhere in a ticket that I have open, I'll search for it.

According to LW's latest update, again Verizon has quietly PURCHASED alter.net to get rid of the roadblockage... I'd love to see if the issue is even fixed but I can't - right now apparently the FIOS line has exploded and it's a full on thing all day with cops blocking off the street now due to downed lines. Not that there was a storm or any reason for it to be downed... 

0 Likes
luxedesign

This seems like the steps to release your DHCP lease? Yeah that doesn't help much, I could do it five times get five completely varied new IP's and have the same problems. 

0 Likes
luxedesign

Sad to say the tech at verizon SUCKS. It was easier to go to Google, and find a CSV file of all the VZ federal division people's cell phone than it has been to alert VZ of any kind of problems - I coulid literally call the guy at NASA, Homeland Security, or the White House - faster than I could get to tech support.... 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon did that in 2006,  it was relatively big news

Verizon closes book on MCI merger - CNET News   I'd love to see the other traceroute, it might show a problem,   Your trace looks fine from here.

https://www.linode.com/docs/networking/diagnosing-network-issues-with-mtr#analyzing-mtr-reports    More about what the traces and the latency and how to really analyze it.

0 Likes
luxedesign

I am now covering the issue in my blog. IT IS STILL ONGOING/ WHY IS VERIZON TELLING MAJOR SERVER / NETWORK INFRASTRUCTURE PROVIDERS THAT IT HAS BEEN RESOLVED. 

All LiquidWeb servers are affected by this and every technician at LW is aware of this issue. 

0 Likes