Re: Android and Linux cannot connect to certain web pages some of the time
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi.  You know that problem and fix/solution should be one that you do on a very rare and infrequent basis.

The problem stems from out of date filters at the website, and they are filtering your IP Address (unknowingly)

The real fix is for them to update their BOGON Filter list to include the subnet / IP that is having trouble, and then the whole block is fixed at that point. 

most people that have to use that fix don't have to use it once MAYBE TWICE, so if you're having repeat trouble over and over, and the only thing fixing it is releasing the IP And getting a brand new IP/subnet, then something is probably wrong somewhere, and you might have to engage Verizon more directly.  I would use the Verizon Twitter support guys, they are REAL good, or the VZ Direct forums

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you wanted to try an alternate DNS, I like using Open DNS

https://use.opendns.com/

0 Likes
PeterT32
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Hubrisnxs:  Just coming up for air after the holidays.  Many thanks for your help!  I may try the alternate DNS option.  I do continue to have problems but have also found that when I run one of my browsers with NoScripts and block most of the advertising / tracking scripts, I am able to access my most frequently used websites.  Looks like the problem isn't the website itself but some other website it calls.

Have a great new year!

Peter

arlhokie
Enthusiast - Level 1

This exact problem has plagued me since I signed up for service last June.   Some sites intermittently timeout or wait for a website indefinitely.  It seems to be a problem with Android and Linux but not Windows (even a windows VM on the Linux machine that's having the problem).  I never had this problem with Comcast.  If I hotspot my computer to my Verizon Wireless phone, the problem disappears.

I've had many long wasted tech support calls where they have me jump through the process of resetting my router and running the network diagnotics only to end with the tech support representative telling me it's not a problem with Verizon's network and it's outside their control or a problem with the website.  Verizon does not seem interested in troubleshooting this issue or working to solve it at all.

I don't think the problem is related to DNS.  I suspect the issue is an MTU path problem.  I have the same problem with the nytimes.com website.  Running ping commands to set the payload size and the don't fragment flag, they come back truncated. I don't know why it would be a problem with Linux but not Windows.

One workaround that I have found for the problem is to go into the Verizon router and manually lower the MTU to 1400 from 1500 on the broadband connection.  That seems to make the problem generally disappear.  I suspect that causes the router to clamp the MSS as well so that packets are restricted to the lower size.

Hope that helps.

PeterT32
Enthusiast - Level 2

arlhokie:  Many thanks for your solution--will give it a try and see if it works for me.

Interesting:  my spouse uses Windows and earlier this week could not load the web page from her employer, but when she tried from her cell phone not using the Verizon network, she had no problems.  On linux, even using Verizon, I was able to access the web page.  So the problem does occur occasionally with Windows as well, though apparently not nearly as frequently.  Her machine has a dual channel wifi card and another problem is that her connection to our router just stops allowing internet traffic--it shows as connected, but it has to be disconnected and reconnected in order to get the internet.

Like you, I never had these problems with Comcast.  Verizon's phone support is useless.  Their web team seems more capable and doesn't dismiss the problem, but I haven't seen a solution yet (have to check today).

Thanks again!

Peter

0 Likes
PeterT32
Enthusiast - Level 2

arlhokie:  Just fyi, I manually reset MTU to 1400 and the verizon.com page, which was not loading for the past 30 minutes on my machine (ironically enough), suddenly could be loaded.  Will have to see if this solves the problems that periodically emerge on other sites, but this is very promising!

Peter

0 Likes
PeterT32
Enthusiast - Level 2

arlhokie: Sorry, been out of town, busy, and have had trouble logging on to Verizon (had to go through a reset process for the password 3 times). Just wanted to say that it's been some months now and, having reset the MTU to 1400 does appear to have cured the problem of not being able to access web pages. So, many thanks for this solution!

On the other hand, my wife's new computer started having problems--it unexplainably loses access to the internet, even though it thinks it's still connected. Only immediate fix is resetting the connection. Happens every 30 minutes or more often. I don't know whether the problem predates my resetting the MTU rate or not. Will have to see if changing that makes a difference.

0 Likes