Re: Another "pre-sales" question - Routers, NIMs and Coax Oh My!
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@Yankee_Fan wrote:

One more question....does the line from "my" router HAVE to go into the WAN port on the Verizon router?  Can't I just plug it into a LAN port instead....don't like having to deal with multiple sub-nets.

I have a question too.  Are you getting cable cards for the TIvo's.  Are you getting any set top boxes?  The idea of feeding the Lan from your router to the Wan of the verizon router is to provide a route for the set top boxes the ability to communicate to our server.  This let's our router act as a nim, whereas the broadband now carries over the coax to the stb's.  This enables them to recieve the programming information and VIdeo onDemand.

0 Likes
cprgolds
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Yankee_Fan wrote:

One more question....does the line from "my" router HAVE to go into the WAN port on the Verizon router?  Can't I just plug it into a LAN port instead....don't like having to deal with multiple sub-nets.

I am doing the same this with 2 routers as previously suggested.

• On the Actiontec, I take all of the default settings, EXCEPT turn off wireless.  It will default to the 192.168.1.xxx subnet.  The second router gets its WAN IP from this router.
  • My second router LAN is on the 192.168.0.xxx subnet.   Much better wireless and overall performance that with the Actiontec, plus I didn't have to change the subnet of all of my exisiting device.

Its not that hard to deal with.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Hey Yankee_Fan,

How did everything go?

0 Likes
Yankee_Fan
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was able to wire it up exactly as my drawing suggested.  When the tech came, I explained to him what I wanted to do, and he refused (I expected this).  He pulled my router out Smiley Mad and replaced it with one of the new Westell routers (which incidentally does not have the NAT table problem that the Actiontec, BUT it has a wonky DHCP problem....whenever a machine on the network connects using a static IP, the Westell treats the connection as if it is a "static leased" address.  If you disconnect that machine' and try to reconnect, for some odd reason the Westell will not allow it to connect again.  I had to go into the Westells admin screen and kill the entry in the DHCP to allow the machine to reconnect...but I digress).   After the tech left, I went back and did it right Smiley Very Happy  I plugged my router back in and connected a line between one of my router's LAN ports and the Westell's LAN port.  I had disabled the Westell's DHCP server prior to doing this.  Everything is working like it should, and I don't have to deal with a wonky router (be it Actiontec OR Westell). 

There were some issues with two of the CableCards he brought, which apparently were bad, so he had to come back the next day with new ones....I will have to say that Verizon should better train their techs in these types of setups....the tech told me that it was his first time he'd even SEEN a CableCard...I had to help him configure them....maybe I can get a part time job with Verizon????  LOL!

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Our tech are trained one way and that method works.  Anything beyond that we arent' responsible.  Your installation is unique and most techs will never see one like it.  Did you show him how you re-arranged his installation when he returned?

Another thing we don't see often is Cable cards on an install.  If a tech see's one a year that's alot. 

I"m glad everything worked out!

As for the job...you never know...

http://www22.verizon.com/jobs/

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

A successful business, in part, is one in which a business model that works for achieving the goals of the business has been developed, and which the business requires its employees to follow.  The greatest majority of end users have no idea what this thread is talking about, or why.  It would NOT make sense that Verizon has trained its personell for any conceivable scenario an end user might require.   -Only for the scenarios that fit into its business model.  If an end user requires alternate configurations (his or her own equipment, for example) then it is the responsibility of that user to manage it.   

As far as the cable cards go, though, you are correct.  The field technition should know how to set them up if s\he is coming to install them.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Provider7 is correct. I installed 3 cablecards for 1 customer in 2008. Before that it was about a year earlier that I had installed one. Not a very popular product. Most of the customers who get them have Tivo. My training was reading about them on the internet.
0 Likes