Another rate increase...
__c
Enthusiast - Level 2

In Dec. my FIOS internet price went from $64.99 to $72.99. It goes up every single year, and it seems to increase by a larger amount every year. I can't take this anymore...

Verizon needs some options. How about bringing back 10Mbps for $50 or 5Mbps for $30 so some of us can downgrade and stay with FIOS rather than look to switch to other providers in witch case Verizon gets nothing.

0 Likes
Re: Another rate increase...
nico213
Enthusiast - Level 3

No this is no increase I was told it was a TAX the govt. put on sports channels from first rep on phone then she puts me in touch with the A team and I was told it was another charge for sports channels whether you watch/subscribe or dance to the beat!!! Then I look it up and see another excuse...now it seems it is an extra charge the regional sports networks charge because they can so instead of charging the people who watch it they put in on the backs on ALL CUSTOMERS. My bill went from 140. to 151(no one mentioned the increase was due to 2yrs  package ran out along with certain rebates)? and NO mention of a charge of any kind nor why the bill went to up until I called to CANCEL Verizon. I got another bundle offer and see..funny how these things are NEVER mentioned when you talk to them... that the email I received stated that my first bill is 179.00 dollars?????????? for upgrades/services partial month? Why isn't it going down as my new bill is going to be cheaper..I just don't get it anymore with VERIZON...Well anyway I got 1 month to look for something cheaper as I found ALL this out after the fact..the so-called STRAW that broke the camels wallet. REALLY ENUF IS ENUF and NOT going to subsidise anyones sports habit as I could care less about sports....excuse me while I look for another ISP..TV and Phone service while it is still fresh in my mind................................

0 Likes
__c
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, if that's really what's happening that would really make me angry. I mean I only have internet service, so nevermind I don't have TV service at all, but I just don't care about sports in general. Why in the world would I fund other peoples sport habbits... That's horrible.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@__c wrote:

Wow, if that's really what's happening that would really make me angry. I mean I only have internet service, so nevermind I don't have TV service at all, but I just don't care about sports in general. Why in the world would I fund other peoples sport habbits... That's horrible.

That is why smart TV providers put all sports channels that require yearly rate hikes into a bucket of premium channels labeled something like NFL Sunday Ticket. For Internet, that is also why all smart ISPs act as dumb pipes. No freemium content driving the price up each year. As a bonus, it makes it easier to determine why the ISP is hiking prices.

I myself would love to see cheaper Fiber pricing to make the service that much more appealing.  I work with people, and have a  close friend of mine who live in SE Asia, some in cities and some out in the middle of nowhere. They can get 500Mbps unmetered fiber connections for $50 USD, and one I know gets 1Gbps for $20. Yeah, it is hard to hit speeds like those, but for all intents and purposes the providers being used are dumb pipes, and they do not have problems like slowdowns to unusability, but there is plenty of overselling going on. Uptime is sometimes an issue, but hey you get what you pay for.

Stuff like this is also why Google Fiber and municipal fiber is a thing.

Anyways, what you are seeing is a rate hike in general. An unneeded one at best.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

For whatever it's worth (which is not much), I feel your pain.

I am pretty much 100% satisfied with FiOS, yet the cable service we have in our area isn't bad.  I used to be a customer of the cable company and a week never goes by when I don't get a promo, luring me back, with which I could have about the same features I get with FiOS but at a significant monthly savings.

Of course, after a year or two with the cable company their rates would jump up to near what I'm paying Verizon now but, at that time, Verizon would likely be offering me a cheap two year contract to get me back as a new customer.

In fact, hardly a week goes by that I don't get a mailing from Verizon offering me a great introductory price for FiOS, a price I'm not eligible for as an existing customer.  I can't help wonder how much money Verizon is frittering away sending those ads to existing customer who can't take advantage of them, but can be irritated at seeing them.

Anyway, all we can do is vote with our wallets, which I'm getting closer to doing.  I may leave to go back to the cable service, and then come back to FiOS in the future as a new customer.

If enough of us play that silly game, maybe Verizon's policy will change.  I'm not holding my breath.

0 Likes
Gourockian

I'm also disgusted with Verizon increasing my FIOS bill from $54.99 to $62.99, which equates to approximately 14.5%.

There was no mention of a rate increase in the previous month's bill and of course, no mention of a reason or justification for this outrageous increase.  All I see in December's bill is "This is a reminder that pricing for your FiOS Bundle, FiOS TV, or FiOS Internet plan has increased this month."  It will be interesting to see if my service quality increases by anywhere near 14.5%!   I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Like others, I'll be checking out the local cable company to see what deals they are offering.   However,I know that their service can't compete with Verizon.   I've already dropped Phone, TV and Wireless service from Verizon, due to previous increases, so don't have the option of paring my costs any further. 

0 Likes
__c
Enthusiast - Level 2

@ Smith6612

Unneeded indeed... I can't help but feel that Verizon is treating all FIOS services as a "bundle" of sorts, so everyone is sharing any rate increase to some extent no matter what. Therefore, I'm inevitably paying for stuff I'm not using, and I'm not even getting anything in return for service I am interested in. I was on minimum speed when I signed up and I'm still on minimum speed today, except I'm paying $30 more.

As internet service only customer that's the only way I can rationalize these rate increases.

@eljefe

So true. I've had FIOS since 2008, and every week I get 1-2 adds in the mail. I've been thinking about it the same way for years. If they stopped wasting money on those adds I'm not interested in, my bill could be $5-$10 less.

From DSL to FIOS, I've had Verizon internet service for over 11 years now, but this just doesn't work anymore. There was Comcast offer available until Dec. 21st for 25Mbps internet for $30/mo for 1yr w/o contract. Unfortunately, I missed that date, but if another offer like that comes my way, I'm definitely taking it. I know Comcast is even worse than Verizon, but enough is enough. I have to break this chain of yearly rate increases and if I must play temporary deal card back and forth, I can do it. How about offering some discounts for current customers, rather than pushing us toward exit, Verizon?

I'd definitely like to see Google jump in. We need some competition. But it will likely be many years before/if that happens...  

0 Likes
TJ1203
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hope comcast  gets back to me so I can switch to them because verizon increases prices way to much, 73 dollars for 15/5 service is crazy

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Another reason for the rate increase was $1 increase per STB.  There was a small note in the October bill that mentioned this increase.  My problem with paying $1 more is I still have a DVR that records two shows at a time.  We are paying more for less!!!  VZ needs to get off their {word filter avoidance} and come out with the VMS soon or it will be time for me to leave.

0 Likes