anti virus software
trapey

With Optimum I got free anti virus software, does Fios offer free internet anti-virus protection?

0 Likes
Re: anti virus software
Hubrisnxs
Legend

no they offer pay antivirus.

Verizon Internet Security Suite

It states it's normally ten dollars/month w/ a Limited time offer for qualifying customers: 50% Discount for 6 Months.*

so 5 bux/month for 6 months.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@trapey wrote:

With Optimum I got free anti virus software, does Fios offer free internet anti-virus protection?

Even were it available, I'd recommend you avoid all ISP-supplied software just on general principles.  Leave the providers to the business of providing access and shop for additional services elsewhere.  Regarding anti-virus, take a close look at AVG Free:

http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download

Many experienced users find that this freely distributed software is very effective.  And BTW, the price is attractive (smile).

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

And just to throw it out there, I am not a very big fan of AVG or Avast! or similiar free software.  It's often bloated or simply isn't very good.   I would recommend you buy a premium Antivirus,  there are TONS out there, and nearly all of them have rebates which give you back the full cost of the software, which make their cost free.

Here are two examples.  

If you're a frugal shopper, you can find more.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I have four Windows PCs, I currently use the free version of Avast on one and Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on the other three. I am very satisfied with both programs.

In the distant past I used the free version of AVG and was very happy with it, but over time it became very bloated and seemed to consume lots of system resources, so I switched to Avast. I gather that AVG is better now, but I still have a bad taste about it.

I don't see any reason to pay money for any anti-virus program, I think the free ones are perfectly adequate. I suggest you pick one and try it, if you don't like the interface or feel it affects your system performance too much, uninstall it and install another one (Note: never, ever have two or more full-time anti-virus programs running concurrently, they will almost certainly interfere with each other).

IMO an anti-virus program is only one part of your defense against getting infected:

1) Use the hardware firewall built into your router

2) Use a software firewall in your OS (for Windows I find Windows Firewall perfectly adequate, although I do use a free program called Windows 7 Firewall Control to provide additional services

3) Use one (free) anti-virus.

4) Then install and run periodically (once a week?) the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

And last but not least, probably the most important step you can take is to use common sense on what websites you visit, and what emails you open. If you don't ever access the sites or open the emails that serve up the viruses, you will not get infected (well, of course you can get infected from flash drives and CDs/DVRs too, so use common sense with those also).

And one last thing: use OpenDNS for your DNS services. I use the free OpenDNS service, they offer additional function for a fee, but even the free version offers options to restrict access to sites known to serve up bad stuff.

My $0.02 worth (you can see from the above I am cheap Smiley Very Happy ), hope it helps.

Keller, TX 76248

Hubrisnxs
Legend

I think your determining factor should be "are you a DIY'er"  DO IT YOURSELF.

If you use a free one, and get a particularly nasty virus, most free ones only offer online chat or forum support to fix.  They don't do free and then not charge you to call in.

If you are a do it yourselfer then that is fine. 

If you aren't and need that kind of support where you can call somewhere when something happens, then you may want to pony up.  Again There are a lot of ones that you can pay for, and then get a rebate for the full cost making it free.

So ymmv and I think that is a good way to decide. 

If you don't have the money flat out, or the luxury of buying one, then yes try any of the free ones out there

AVG

AVAST! 

COMODO 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

I think your determining factor should be "are you a DIY'er"  DO IT YOURSELF.

If you use a free one, and get a particularly nasty virus, most free ones only offer online chat or forum support to fix.  They don't do free and then not charge you to call in.

If you are a do it yourselfer then that is fine. 

If you aren't and need that kind of support where you can call somewhere when something happens, then you may want to pony up.  Again There are a lot of ones that you can pay for, and then get a rebate for the full cost making it free.

So ymmv and I think that is a good way to decide. 

If you don't have the money flat out, or the luxury of buying one, then yes try any of the free ones out there

AVG

AVAST! 

COMODO 

Not sure I agree with the above. Smiley Very Happy

1) The effort to install a free or non-free anti-virus is probably exactly the same, so "DIY'er" or not probably makes no difference here.

2) From the reports I have read, the free versions of most anti-virus programs seem to detect/prevent pretty much the same viruses as the non-free versions of the same anti-virus programs, so again, "DIY'er" or not would make little or no difference.

3) If you do get infected, then you are probably in trouble no matter what! And the free anti-virus vendors do offer fourms where people do report problems and solutions. While these may not be direct support from the vendor, I think in many cases they are adequate, or maybe even better resources. I really question the effectiveness of being able to call for support, especially for this kind of issue, I think being able to post specific symptoms, screen prints, etc. on a forum is a far better way to document a problem and get a solution.

4) Many (most, all?) of the non-free anti-virus progrms may have a rebate, but generally they have an annual fee, and the rebate covers at most the cost for the first year. So after one year, it isn't free. 

Of course the above is just my opinion. But to repeat, an anti-virus program is just one part of the "solution", and whether they are a "DIY'er" or not, I think everybody should do all of the things I suggested - hardware firewall, software firewall, anti-virus, and running an occasional scanner.

Keller, TX 76248

Hubrisnxs
Legend

I think for the most part that is correct, I am talking about people whom are FLAT OUT not tech savvy, who struggle to use a computer, compose an email and are generally afraid of their PC. 

Forums are almost by definition for "DIY'ers" 

Only a person willing to do it themselves would seek out the forums. 

Someone that is not tech savvy may have some trouble with your distinctions.

Just my opinion.     

My Mother and Father for example, would NEVER be able to "figure it out" on a forum.

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

.. Forums are almost by definition for "DIY'ers"  ... Only a person willing to do it themselves would seek out the forums ...

Not to cut too fine a point, but perhaps that's a fault of the forums rather than the users.  If you want to "play" today you just have to step up and learn the rules.  There's an attitude afloat that all this "stuff" should be simple and that folks should not have to face the complications.  In my view that's nonsense and should be so designated.  Everything takes a little more work these days.

Justin46
Legend

I just realized I left something important out in my previous posts: back up your system to an external hard drive, just in case the worst happens!

I am a fan of the free version of Macrium Reflect. The free version will only take full system backups, but I believe that is the type of backup most people should take. It backs up the user's data, but it also backs up the operating system (Windows) as well as all installed software (things like MS Office, etc). And it allows you to restore the entire system if the worst happens, but it also allows access to any and all user folders and their contents, so individual files can be restored if needed.

Using Macrium Reflect is easy:

1) Install Macrium Reflect Free

2) Run Macrium Reflect and take a backup

3) Create an emergency boot CD

4) Store the CD and backup drive somewhere safe

Backups should be taken periodically, maybe once a day for a small business, or maybe once a week if you make lots of changes to data, installed programs, and/or the operating system, or maybe once month if there is littlle activity, or once a quarter if?????? The frequently should depend on activity; for example, I take a backup immediately before I install the monthly Microsoft service. I also take a backup if I am planning to make major changes to my system. For simple file changes I generally just copy the changed files to a flash drive which I keep until I take the next system backup.

If a restore is needed, boot from the CD and restore.

There are plenty of other backup and restore programs, system or just data, free or pay. Again, it almost doesn't matter what you choose to do, as long as you do it!

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes