Any advantage to using high end router?
milhans1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have 1 GBPs FiOS service and don’t have TV.  Do you get better internet service by buying one of the new routers with multi-core CPU’s?  I don’t do gaming but have about 38 connected devices with all of cameras, wife thermostats, door bells, 4K TVs, etc. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any advantage to using high end router?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are a number of factors that can govern the router to use.

A lot of devices don't use much bandwidth depending on how you use it.

Thermostats and doorbells typically are low volume unless being actively used or managed.

Cameras will depend on if they are streaming to a storage server or are motion detectors.

A lot of the more expensive routers provide more programming features. And can have better wifi coverage and speed.

So maybe look up some reviews of middle of the road routers.

Maybe even try them out (just try and purchase from someplace that has a liberal return policy)

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@milhans wrote:

I have 1 GBPs FiOS service and don’t have TV.  Do you get better internet service by buying one of the new routers with multi-core CPU’s?  I don’t do gaming but have about 38 connected devices with all of cameras, wife thermostats, door bells, 4K TVs, etc. 

In a nutshell verizon branded Quantum Gateway Router is junk in wifi. However a high end router by netgear or asus or TP Link Archer with external antennas with mimo and steering is far superior.

you also save eventually because the verizon rental is $12 a month for each year $144 which you save money after year one or two. 

But support only up to the ONT if you use your own router.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are a number of factors that can govern the router to use.

A lot of devices don't use much bandwidth depending on how you use it.

Thermostats and doorbells typically are low volume unless being actively used or managed.

Cameras will depend on if they are streaming to a storage server or are motion detectors.

A lot of the more expensive routers provide more programming features. And can have better wifi coverage and speed.

So maybe look up some reviews of middle of the road routers.

Maybe even try them out (just try and purchase from someplace that has a liberal return policy)

milhans1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your advice.  I agree with you that the Verizon G1100 is deficient.  I don't like it when they push out firmware without you knowing about it.  The newer routers have a more powerful CPU, can handle more multiple streams, seem to have more configurable setting and can run alternate open source router firmware.  Thank you!

milhans1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you.  I went and purchased a higher end Linksys router.  I want to be careful not to blame Verizon for things they aren't responsible for.  My internet went down two days ago for about an hour.  I later found out it was Cloudflare's DNS servers that went down.

Thanks again!