Any reason to spend twice as much on HME2200-02/ECB2200 for MoCA bridge over used MI424WR router?
fifor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi, I want to provide wired internet to my TV in my living room and am looking at the MoCa options.  I was about to buy the Actiontec HME2200-02 on Amazon for $79 until I read you can use a standard Verizon router for the same purpose.  These can be had for half the price on eBay and also provide you with more ethernet ports and the ability to extend your wireless.  Is there any reason to go with the Actiontec single MoCa adapter instead?  Thanks.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any reason to spend twice as much on HME2200-02/ECB2200 for MoCA bridge over used MI424WR router
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The same functional results can be obtained, but the HME/ECB is truly plug and play with no configuration while the router will most definitely require configuration (and an incorrect configuration can disrupt your internet access altogether).   There are several configuration walk-thrus available on the forum and elsewhere which show how to do this -- it really depends on your level of comfort with understanding networking and ability to make any necessary technical decisions about the setup specific to your requirements (you essentially need to disable the routing/dhcp functions of the second device and deconfigure the MoCA WAN interface while retaining the ethernet/wireless/MoCA LAN bridge capabilities).

If you're comfortable with the configuration requirements, then the router is fine.   If you want a "plug it in and it just works" solution, the ECB/HME is the right solution.  

View solution in original post

Re: Any reason to spend twice as much on HME2200-02/ECB2200 for MoCA bridge over used MI424WR router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

The used Actiontec router will give you the same functionallity with extra ports.  MAy be a little more fiddly to set up but nothing overly complex.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The same functional results can be obtained, but the HME/ECB is truly plug and play with no configuration while the router will most definitely require configuration (and an incorrect configuration can disrupt your internet access altogether).   There are several configuration walk-thrus available on the forum and elsewhere which show how to do this -- it really depends on your level of comfort with understanding networking and ability to make any necessary technical decisions about the setup specific to your requirements (you essentially need to disable the routing/dhcp functions of the second device and deconfigure the MoCA WAN interface while retaining the ethernet/wireless/MoCA LAN bridge capabilities).

If you're comfortable with the configuration requirements, then the router is fine.   If you want a "plug it in and it just works" solution, the ECB/HME is the right solution.  

fifor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your replies.  I'm comfortable with router configuration so I think I'll go with the substantially cheaper used routers.  Are "Gen1" (I'm assuming) devices such as this one acceptable or do I need a Gen2 device that looks similar to the main router I have now?

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@fifor wrote:

Are "Gen1" (I'm assuming) devices such as this one acceptable

Yes, GEN1 routers are perfectly fine as a MOCA bridge.

Here's a walk-through for configuraing an Actiontec router as a MOCA bridge:

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax

fifor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you.