Any schedule for faster internet in the Boston area?
newdaddy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I currently have 20/5 but noticed that faster internet has been rolled out in other areas. Is there any word on a future roll out of faster internet in the Boston area?

0 Likes
Re: Any schedule for faster internet in the Boston area?
prisaz
Legend

@NewDaddy wrote:

I currently have 20/5 but noticed that faster internet has been rolled out in other areas. Is there any word on a future roll out of faster internet in the Boston area?

@Faster speeds are on their way. But we must all wait for more news to be released in June from what I read. New Speed Tiers etc. The tiers have been discussed but not pricing. Read this @Home blog. http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at-Home/FiOS-Past-Paves-Way-For-Big-Broadband-Era-Including-New...

0 Likes
newdaddy
Enthusiast - Level 3

@prisaz wrote:

@NewDaddy wrote:

@Faster speeds are on their way. But we must all wait for more news to be released in June from what I read. New Speed Tiers etc. The tiers have been discussed but not pricing. Read this @Home blog. http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at-Home/FiOS-Past-Paves-Way-For-Big-Broadband-Era-Including-New...

Interesting... Some of the current speed tiers are not available in my area. So, even if Verizon rolls out the new speed tier system next month, there is no guarantee that they'll offer anything fasther than 20/5 in my area.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NewDaddy wrote:
Interesting... Some of the current speed tiers are not available in my area. So, even if Verizon rolls out the new speed tier system next month, there is no guarantee that they'll offer anything fasther than 20/5 in my area.

Are you in an MDU/apartment/Condo that does not have a dedicated ONT per unit? 20Mbps/5Mbps suggests a VDSL connection to be as your FiOS connection.

0 Likes
newdaddy
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Smith6612 wrote:

@NewDaddy wrote:

Are you in an MDU/apartment/Condo that does not have a dedicated ONT per unit? 20Mbps/5Mbps suggests a VDSL connection to be as your FiOS connection.

Yes, I live in a condo complex. Does that bode ill for any future speed upgrade?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It may, perhaps due to the way Verizon had to install the service originally into the condo. Did Verizon supply you with a Westell 9100VM router, and does it have a Phone line going into it at all?

0 Likes
newdaddy
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Smith6612 wrote:

It may, perhaps due to the way Verizon had to install the service originally into the condo. Did Verizon supply you with a Westell 9100VM router, and does it have a Phone line going into it at all?

We did away with the landline when we switched to verizon from comcast due to all the cold telemarketing calls.

I have an Actiontec router.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ActionTec router is connected through Coax cable to the source of connectivity for your Condo, correct? The WAN (Internet) port on the back of the ActionTec has nothing connected to it does it?

Do you know where any other Verizon boxes may be in your condo? Maybe in a closet or in the basement. Higher speeds should be offerable if you do not have the VDSL-based variant of FiOS.

0 Likes
newdaddy
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Smith6612 wrote:

The ActionTec router is connected through Coax cable to the source of connectivity for your Condo, correct? The WAN (Internet) port on the back of the ActionTec has nothing connected to it does it?

Do you know where any other Verizon boxes may be in your condo? Maybe in a closet or in the basement. Higher speeds should be offerable if you do not have the VDSL-based variant of FiOS.

The actiontec router has both a coaxial cable and a WAN cable coming out of it.

The coaxial cable is connected to a wall socket, whereas the WAN cable is connected to a Xytel Prestige 861 box (I'm assuming it's a modem.)

When the Fios technician came over to install my Fios a few years ago, I remember him doing some work in the boiler room. I just went to take a look and there is a small closet on the wall, but it's only full of wires and coaxial cables, and no Verizon box.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hmm, ok. In this case the Zyxel Prestige 861 would happen to be a VDSL modem. According to some specifications I've found on that modem, it does do VDSL, and it's max speed is 52Mbps/26Mbps assuming asymmentrical, or 25Mbps up and down for symmentrical service. So, it does seem as though you had an MDU install with the lesser VDSL option. Probably not by choice of Verizon though.

Verizon typically limits the VDSL ONTs to about 20Mbps/5Mbps, to perhaps a Max of 25Mbps/15Mbps, essentially all of the older tiers except 50Mbps/20Mbps.