Apple Airport Express instead of Fios Modem?
CoffeeCoffee1

Hello friends.  Can I used an Apple Airport Express 2nd Generation with Fios instead renting the Fios wireless router?  

I am new to Fios and am getting TV + Internet installed soon.  Fios will set me up with the main box (ONT, I assume) and I will be renting a Fios wireless modem for internet. 

I currently have Spectrum cable/internet use an Apple Airport Express 2nd Generation for my wireless internet.  The Airport connects to my Spectrum box with an Ethernet cable.  

Can I do the same set up with Fios?  That is, can I just opt out of the Fios router rental and use my Airport Express to generate my wireless internet signal? 

If yes, what are the pros/cons?

(I’ve reviewed similar questions here but some were very old)

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Apple Airport Express instead of Fios Modem?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Repeat after me:

FiOS does not use modems.

The ONT in FiOS is similar to a modem in a cable setup, but it is not a modem.

The router in FiOS is just that, a router.  It does have some extra features used by FiOS, including MoCA (coax) LAN and WAN, built in network settings/controls for Verizon set-top-boxes, and an encrypted control channel to their infrastructure used to enable stuff like app control of router settings and support.

You can use a non-Verizon router as primary with FiOS, however this has two significant issues:

• Verizon provides zero support past the ONT.
  • Verizon set-top-boxes work best with a Verizon router, especially the latest FiOS ONE boxes.

If you enjoy building and maintaining networks, then I say go for it!  If  you want a solution that "just works" and is supported by Verizon, stick with a Verizon router.

Note that if you were getting internet only, it's much easier to use a non-Verizon router since you don't need to support the set-top-boxes.

Here's a good place to explore options:

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

View solution in original post

Re: Apple Airport Express instead of Fios Modem?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Repeat after me:

The ONT in FiOS is similar to a modem in a cable setup, but it is not a modem.

The router in FiOS is just that, a router.  It does have some extra features used by FiOS, including MoCA (coax) LAN and WAN, built in network settings/controls for Verizon set-top-boxes, and an encrypted control channel to their infrastructure used to enable stuff like app control of router settings and support.

You can use a non-Verizon router as primary with FiOS, however this has two significant issues:

• Verizon provides zero support past the ONT.
  • Verizon set-top-boxes work best with a Verizon router, especially the latest FiOS ONE boxes.

If you enjoy building and maintaining networks, then I say go for it!  If  you want a solution that "just works" and is supported by Verizon, stick with a Verizon router.

Note that if you were getting internet only, it's much easier to use a non-Verizon router since you don't need to support the set-top-boxes.

Here's a good place to explore options:

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077