Apple Macs and FIOS: Can they work together?
DrBob

I hope you don't mind a pre-service question. I have signed up to add FIOS to my phone service (upgrading from DSL) and after reading the email instructions about getting ready for installation am concerned that FIOS and my system may not work correctly. My specific concern is that I am using an Airport for my wireless router along with an Airport Express connected to my stereo so that I can stream music all over my house. The set up stuff indicates that Apple wireless stuff is not supported. Does that mean I have to use the wireless router that comes with the FIOS set-up and lose my existing network, including my Express? Or can I connect the FIOS modem to my Airport router? As a related issue, I have my router connected to my DSL modem at the moment and not to a computer so I can take my computers anywhere I want. Do I have to have the FIOS stuff wired through a computer or can I still connect it to the wireless router and sitck them anywhere and carry my computers with me?

Thanks for any insights you may be able to offer!

0 Likes
Re: Apple Macs and FIOS: Can they work together?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
If you are not getting TV service you can keep your airport as long as the tech sets you up for ethernet instead of MoCA over the coax. If you have TV service you need the ActionTec so that the set top boxes can communicate over the internet. If you have TV your computers should work ok plugged into the ActionTec.
0 Likes
DrBob

Thanks Telcoguru for the response. I am getting the TV service so I gather from your response that I will need to use the router from Verizon. When you say my computers wil work plugged into the router do you mean physically plugged in or they can work using the wireless capacity of the network (I am still confused by that pesky Apple wireless adaptors not supported wording on the Verizon website!) Can I plug my airport into the ethernet connection on the Verizon router and make it work that way so I can continue to use both that network and the Express connected to my stereo equipment?

And does anyone know why Verizon has chosen not to support Apple in a more robust way?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
If your computers use a wireless connection the MACS should work ok with the ActionTec wireless unless you really have your heart set on using the Airport. If you look on the internet there are plenty of posts on how to put the ActionTec router into bridge mode and use your own router.
0 Likes
GSnicker
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have a Mac laptop and Fios TV and internet (for almost 2 years now). I also have an Airport base station and wanted to keep using that because my computer was all set up for it. When the technicians hooked me up they plugged in the Actiontec and then just ran a Cat 5 cable from the Actiontec to my Airport and we just had to type in the number code from the router and all works fine. They actually stayed and made sure all was working before they left and have never had any problems, albeit yesterday my Actiontec plug cord went bad and they overnighted a new one and back online. 
0 Likes
mole
I recently purchased an iMac to replace my pc and changed from Cox to Fios. I connect with the Fios router wirelessly. I have had constant difficulty with the iMac and Fios internet. Sometimes it runs perfectly but mostly very slow or not at all. I have talked to Apple tech support several times without improvement so now I will try Verizon. I have installed broadband tuner with no improvement. My pc communicates with the Fios router without difficulty. iMac is about 8 feet fromt he router and signal strength looks good. Any idea how I can connect consistently? I am getting very frustrated and thinking of yuk going back to Cox.
0 Likes
zachyzissou
Enthusiast - Level 2
I was curious to know. I've had FiOS since before all the TV stuff came out, almost right when they released it in North Texas, i was set up with a D-Link router and one of the black conversion boxes. I simply swapped out the D-Link with my AirPort Extreme and everything works fine until we buy about 5 things on VOD then i'll just have to reset the AirPort and everything goes back to normal. Is there new equipment i'm missing?
0 Likes