Attaching a DGL-4500 Xtreme to the MI424WR-GEN2 FiOS, could someone post an easy guide?
pfaustino
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi guys, I've just bought a DGL-4500 Xtreme to use with my FIOS internet (MI424WR-GEN2) because the wireless signal is bad (concrete walls) and the QOS is horrible, my Skype and Voip phone sounds awful most of the times and download speeds are not consistent.

I did an extensive search on the forum and there are some resources about it however none of them are clear enough, it's like people started writing the solution and then stopped at the middle to let you guess the rest of it or they just wrote about all the technical specifications of the equipment and such.

I would like to ask you, if possible, to put in simple words what is the best way to do connect this DGL-4500 Xtreme router to the FiOS internet, when I say that I mean, specify the ports that will be used and settings to be changed.

Looking forward,

Thank you

Paul

I'm going to put here my guess from what I've read, haven't tested yet, got the router today:

1. Connect new router to pc and change the subnet from default 192.168.1.x to 192.168.2.x (anything that doesn't conflict)
  2. Set the new router's DNS server to the IP address of the MI424WR device?
  3. Connect an ethernet cable from any LAN port on the MI424WR to the WAN port on the new router.
  4. All devices connected cabled or wirelessly to the new router should be good to go now with QOS and everything?
Re: Attaching a DGL-4500 Xtreme to the MI424WR-GEN2 FiOS, could someone post an easy guide?
Peter_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

We don't support that configuration but that being said, if it were me I would.

1) Connect your new router directly to your computer using an Ethernet cable connected to a lan port (1,2,3 or 4 it doesn't matter which)

2) Assign the router an IP address such as 192.168.1.25 (so it is away from anything the Verizon router may hand out) 

3) Turn off DHCP in the new router

4) Plug your new router into the Actiontec router Lan to Lan

Then you should be good