Backup Router
swellmom

My Verizon Fios router (Actiontec) is 2 years old.

I have noticed it feeling very hot to the touch.

I cannot afford to be without my internet connection. I would like to get a back up router to have on hand in case this one fails.

What are my options?

Thank you for your suggestions.

0 Likes
Re: Backup Router
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Well if it feels abnormally hot, then you may be able to call into support and talk to them about a possible replacement.  if it simply feels hot and not abnormally hot, then that may be normal.   

if you wanted a replacement router, I would suggest going to ebay or buying one used,   it has to be an actiontect MI424, or a Westell 9100 

there are different revisions out there, so rev A is the first one, and they are upto F and about to put out a rev G.   So in MY humble opinion you can get any revision that is D and later   you could even afford to get a C, but if you have a choice try to get rev D and later.    ebay has them pretty inexpensive,  but if you call VZ to "buy" one, they are like 140 bux.   on ebay, probably around 40, so you could save a lot of money.  and that is probably the way I would go.   

Re: Backup Router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@swellmom wrote:

My Verizon Fios router (Actiontec) is 2 years old.

I have noticed it feeling very hot to the touch.

I cannot afford to be without my internet connection. I would like to get a back up router to have on hand in case this one fails.

What are my options?

Thank you for your suggestions.

What Fios service do you have?

If you don't have Fios TV you can get any router you feel like.  If it's an ethernet connected router you will have to ask Verizon to activate the ethernet port on the ONT.