Bandwith Prioritization
hazmatt
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm digging around in the settings of my UltraLine Series3 Model 9100EM router for FIOS, 25/15.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to prioritize physical ethernet connections over WiFi?  The desktops systems running in this building are running intensive desktop and file sharing, while the WiFi is for everything else.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

- Matt

0 Likes
Re: Bandwith Prioritization
Hubrisnxs
Legend

http://www.actiontec.com/products/info_page.php?pid=9

I haven't done it myself, but it sounds like setting network objects would be the best for you

Use Network Objects
Network objects are used to define a part of the BHR's network (for example, a group of computers) by MAC addresses, IP addresses, and/or host names. The defined part becomes a "network object," and settings, such as configuring system rules, can be applied to all the devices defined as part of the network object at once.

For example, instead of manually setting the same website filtering configuration to five computers one at a time, the computers can be defined as a network object, and website filtering configuration can then be applied to all the computers simultaneously.

Network objects can also be used to apply security rules based on host names instead of IP addresses. This may be useful, since IP addresses change from time to time. Moreover, it is possible to define network objects according to MAC addresses, making rule application more persistent against network configuration settings. To define a network object:

1.    Open a Web browser and enter "http://192.168.1.1" in the Address bar, then press the "Enter" key on the keyboard. Click OK.
2.    Click Advanced, then click Network Objects in the "Advanced" screen. The "Network Objects" screen appears.
3.    Click Add. The "Edit Network Object" screen appears.
4.    Specify a name for the network object in the "Description" text box.
5.    Click Add. The "Edit Item" screen appears.
6.    Select the type of network object type from the "Network Object Type" list box. Options include "IP address," "IP Subnet," "IP Range," "MAC Address," and "Host Name."
7.    Repeat to create other network objects, if needed. When finished, click Apply to save all created network objects

Hubrisnxs
Legend

I know you have the westell, but the Verizon firmware should be REAL similiar with only minor differences, so while that might not be exactly the steps you take, they should be close, and if you're looking to do what you're doing it should be close enough for you to toy with it a little bit.  I'll see if I can find anything for the westell specifically.

0 Likes
hazmatt
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Hubrinsnxs,

Thank you so much for getting me started.  I have successfully grouped my Ethernet connections and WiFi connections by MAC addresses into seperate groups.  I'm confused on the priority though.

So all I need to do is to set the group's traffic priority in QoS?  I tried doing this once, but it ended up in my router constantly rebooting iteslf so I reverted back.  

Just to be clear, in the QoS menu, I am putting the physical ethernet group on the "Broadband Connection (Ethernet) Rules", not the "Ethernet Switch", correct? 

Thank you,

0 Likes