Re: Battery Backup beeping and in the Red
ping1

My problem is why, the design looks like a flaw. A backup battery is meant for power outages. It should not be a mandatary part for the FIOS setup. Insteady, users should be able to take the battery out and connect th eequipments directly to power.

it should not, and it is not.   read the other msgs in the thread to disable the beep. and user is able to take battery out to run on a/c power directly, if you are ok to be without battery.

0 Likes
Miandw

That unplugging, and disconnecting the battery worked for me.  Didn't think about it interrupting the service, but my son made me fully aware as I did it right when he was in the middle of an apparent critical moment of an online tank war game, hehe.  So I had it disconnected for only a couple minutes, not 10, plugged it back in and it looks good. 

We'll see how long it lasts.

0 Likes
Jbarrow11
Enthusiast - Level 2

My understanding is that the battery back-up is to enable you to use the phone when there is a power outage !

If you lose power your TV, STB and computer internet will not work.

So to save money Verizon will not accept the responsibility for phone outage due to failure of the battery back-up !!!!! ???

So why not sell the back-up separate.  Thereby allowing  users with cell phones to not bear the cost of the battery back-up.

Since there is a "beep Beep " signal ... Where ??  All of my verizon equipment is in the storage room.  So there is no way I will ever hear it.

For customer service send an email or phone call to customer that the battery may need replacing.

I am retired and do not use a cell phone.   So I am preparing an order to my lawyer that if tree falls ( or other reasons)

and I am injured or die because I am unable to reach  "911" that Verizon be sued for $10,000,000.  Neglect and willfully knowing that their is a problem with a "BATTERY" .

I have never seen anything or warned that the "battery back-up" is my responsibility. 

0 Likes
JiveTurkey2
Contributor - Level 1

@Jbarrow11 wrote:

My understanding is that the battery back-up is to enable you to use the phone when there is a power outage !

If you lose power your TV, STB and computer internet will not work.

So to save money Verizon will not accept the responsibility for phone outage due to failure of the battery back-up !!!!! ???

So why not sell the back-up separate.  Thereby allowing  users with cell phones to not bear the cost of the battery back-up.

Since there is a "beep Beep " signal ... Where ??  All of my verizon equipment is in the storage room.  So there is no way I will ever hear it.

For customer service send an email or phone call to customer that the battery may need replacing.

I am retired and do not use a cell phone.   So I am preparing an order to my lawyer that if tree falls ( or other reasons)

and I am injured or die because I am unable to reach  "911" that Verizon be sued for $10,000,000.  Neglect and willfully knowing that their is a problem with a "BATTERY" .

I have never seen anything or warned that the "battery back-up" is my responsibility. 

Directly from the Verizon FiOS Terms of Service page when service is installed:

"I have read and agree to the above Verizon Terms of Service.  I understand that selecting this constitutes my electronic signature accepting these terms.  I understand that my FiOS service will include a battery backup unit (BBU) that will provide up to eight (8) hours of standard voice service, including E-911, and that I am responsible for periodically replacing the battery.  I am 18 years or older and have authority to accept this Terms of Service."

rcarr39

Removing the battery for a while stopped the beeping for me, but it started up again after a week or so. I don't even want battery backup, I just want silence. It's ridiculous that the alarm cannot be silenced permanently.

Verizon support person tells me "Just buy the $35 battery. That'll fix it." Yeah that makes sense, I'm unhappy with your service, so here, let me give you more money for something I don't want.

Verizon, please improve your hardware. Though I'm not sure I'll still be a customer if/when you ever do.

0 Likes
Blizzardof67

Thanks...big headache saver

0 Likes
stevedrummer

A good fix is to disable the alarm.

Take off the box covers and disconnect the wire labeled alarm and battery status indicator.

Use a small screwdriver and lift up the tab for the end 2 connectors.  You may have to unplug the connector (meaning no tv or phone while doing this) but it is a permanent fix without having to replace battery.  This does not affect anything else in the system.  A few hour battery backup when phones etc. need power is useless in a power outage.  Espedially with cell phones, etc.  The battery backup if for Verizon liability I suspect and does very little for our convenience, especiall since most phones require power for use.

0 Likes
Timeshifter
Enthusiast - Level 2

Instead of dissconnecting wires, I took a glue gun and filled the hole in the round speaker housing with hotmelt glue.

Now it is an ineffectual tiny beep you'd have to stand next to to hear.

0 Likes
Smack-A-Fool
Thanks for the advice! Tested my battery before buying another ($40, Radio Shack) and it turns out mine had nearly a full charge. Would probably have blindly swapped it out it if not for your post.
0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

why Verizon does not pay for the battery:

1. It is not service impacting, technically you can throw the battery down the street and as long as your PSU is plugged in to steady power then your services will work.

2. If it were up to Verizon they probably never would have installed batteries in the first place, but they are required to in order to give people some kind of back up system in the case of power outage (Googe Fiber was smart not offering traditional voice services)

3. Many people now days use cordless phones in their house anyways, which will not work in a power outage even if you have a battery backup (wireless electricity is just not there yet)

Also to respond to what somebody said, I agree there should be an option to have the battery or not in the first place. In fact I thought I heard that in Texas Verizon is doing a trial program with new customer installations where they will give the customer the option to purchase the battery at that time of install or just not have it at all.