beeping from BBU
timotis911
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've removed the battery from the unit and yet it continues to beep. Pressing the 'silent alarm' button does nothing. How do I silence this thing? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: beeping from BBU
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I understand your scenario -- I am in the same situation.  I have internet and TV only, no phone and thus really don't need to the BBU.   I found that I couldn't get the alarm to shut up and keep it that way (any power blip, etc. seemed to result in the power supply alarm re-enabling again).   I finally gave in and spent the $15 for a battery and have had peace and quiet ever since -- some "technology" problems just aren't worth solving.  🙂

View solution in original post

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

In short... Replace the battery with a new one.  You can obtain ne online from a number of retailers or from a local "battery warehouse" or similar battery store.  I believe my last one cost me about $15 (the battery it replaced had lasted about 5-6 years under "unheated/uninsulated garage" type conditions (cold in the winter and very warm in the summer).

timotis911
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I should have stated, though, that I don't need battery backup for my home phone. Some Verizon help page told me I could remove the battery and or simply hit the alram slience button. Neither work. I'd simply like to silence the **bleep** alarm.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try to power unit off and back on. Then try alarm silence button.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I understand your scenario -- I am in the same situation.  I have internet and TV only, no phone and thus really don't need to the BBU.   I found that I couldn't get the alarm to shut up and keep it that way (any power blip, etc. seemed to result in the power supply alarm re-enabling again).   I finally gave in and spent the $15 for a battery and have had peace and quiet ever since -- some "technology" problems just aren't worth solving.  🙂

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You could have Verizon replace your current bbu and power supply with a power adapter and you will no longer have an issue with the bbu beeping.

timotis911
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the help.

I engaged in an online chat with Verizon - assuming offshore. In the end they told me to get a new battery. I found it hard to beleive I couldn't talk with someone about this. It's a VERY poor design that requires a customer to periodocally replace a battery every 2-3 years - all for providing backup power for the land line. Which I don't need! Hello? Cell phones anyone? 

I told him to schedule a technician to come to my house to pull everything out. He responded that he'd send me a new battery. Good answer, I'd say. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm probably jinxing myself, but I have had my battery for over 8 years and never had an issue.