Best way to have dual band on the 2.4ghz mi424wr
meegwell1
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have a cisco eA3500 dual band connected WAN to LAN to my mi424wr (not dual band). After much testing a gazillion setting combinations, i have confirmed that i want to use the cisco dual band router as my wireless connection for my client devices.

This works fine now with the one problem that i cant control my settop boxes from my other client devices (mostly iOS devices) i believe because they are technically on separate networks...devices on the cisco and the stbs on the mi424wr.

A secondary issue is that i want to add additional dual band network coverage through the house, and i hope both issues can be solved by the following:

From another recent thread related to accessing this secondary router, i was instructed to deactivate DHCP on the cisco and attach it to the mi424wr LAN to LAN. I am assuming in bridge mode. I never had to do it because my original problem was resolved before getting to that step.

So, if i do this above step, will i still see the cisco SSID, and be able to connect to it at dual band as i do now? Will the cisco still be a "separate" network but/will i be able to see all devices (and control the cable boxes?)

Even better, if I cat 5 another identical cisco from the first cisco and set it in bridge mode(run it to the second floor) what do I need to do, if possible, to be able to move freely between those to signal sources without having to select a different network?

Thanks in advance for any input.
0 Likes
Re: Best way to have dual band on the 2.4ghz mi424wr
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Verizon will not support anything but the Actiontec router. The set top boxes work using the 192.168.1.100-150 range of IP addresses in the router and the port forwarding rules the boxes need are set up in the actiontec.

0 Likes
meegwell1
Enthusiast - Level 2
Telcoguru thanks for your reply but as you can see from my proposed solutions I never contemplated replacing the actiontec and I fully understand that verizon requires their router and will not support any equipment I add on. My post only contemplates additional equipment in addition to the actiontec.
0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

To answer your question what you have been advised to do is setting up your Cisco as an AP.

1.  On your Actiontec check to see what range it is assigning DHCP in.  If necessary limit/ adjust  the range so you have a series of IPs you can use for static IPs.  If your DHCP range is 192.168.1.100- 150 that is fine.   Your Actiontec router is by default normally 192.168.1.1.

2. On your Actiontec you can either turn of or leave on the WiFi.   If you leave it on select a channel 1-6-11.

3.  On your Cisco turn off the DHCP server and assign it a static  WAN IP.   If your Actiontec is 192.168.1.1  you could make your Cisco 192.168.1.2.   Set the 2.4 Ghz radio to a channel that is not the same as the channel on the Actiontec.  I also recommend that you use a different SSID if you left the Actiontec's radio on.  Set your 5 Ghz radio to whatever channel you like and give it a SSID that is different than any of the other SSIDs you have used.    Connect the Cisco to the Actiontec as you said LAN to LAN.    If you want to add another Cisco,  use another channel, another SSID and connect LAN to LAN from eithet a port on the Actiontec or from  the first Cisco.

Another option to connect either the first or second Cisco to your network is to use a MOCA adapter which will replace the Ethernet cable by using the coaxial cable that your TV is using.   One of the real nice features of the Actiontec is the built in MOCA.  Makes it very easy to install additional APs to improve WiFi coverage.

Bridging is another option but to keep it reasonably simple and since you want to keep your STB on your primary network for administraive purposes  using your Cisco as an AP is a very good choice.

Some people on this forum swear at their Actiontecs, but I have no complaints about mine.   The only time it has rebooted is when it downloaded a firmware update and I  experienced a power outage that lasted longer than my UPS.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

wan to lan means you have multiple subnets, and so you'd have to create a static route from one to the other.

Did you consider using a LAN-to-LAN connection?
Instructions are here:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

A LAN-to-LAN connection will avoid double NAT'ing and the need to create a static route.

0 Likes
meegwell1
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thank you captain. Followup question...i can turn off dhcp but not be in bridge mode? With actiontec handling dhcp, when i log in to the actiontec UI will I see all clients together, even those connected to the cisco? Also, with different ssids on all routers, will i be able to move about freely or will i have to change networks manually on the clients?

Thanks again!
0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Your Actiontec will handle all the routing functions and when you look at the client list they will all show on the Actiontec's client list.  If you type in the Actiontec's IP 192.168.1.1  you will be able to connect to and administer this router regardless of what SSID you are connected to.  Your Cisco will simply be a WiFI AP and a switch with three Ethernet ports available.

Seamless roaming is not a standard feature of most SOHO routers and clients.  Unfortunately there is nothing that will force/cause a WiFi device to connect to a stronger WiFi signal if it can still see and connect to the last AP it was connected to.   That is the reason for giving each radio a different name so users can for better speed connect to the nearest and therefore probably the strongest signal.

Centrally managed WiFi networks in commercial buildings do have a controller that will force connections to stronger signals.   Some SOHO routers do have a feature that will refuse a connection from a client if the signal is weak.  Check your Cisco and if it has this feature.  If  yes then you can enable it and see if it improves roaming.   Even with this feature the Cisco won't  check or know that their is a stronger signal is available, but just that the signal is lower than the threshold you set and refuse a connection to that device.   You still have the option of using the same or different SSIDs.    For user's convience you can use the same paraphrase, but regardless of how you set it up always use different and non overlapping channels on your APs.

Bridging in the context  you are talking about refers to taking the equipment provided by your ISP and disabling all but the basic modem functions and then using your own router and wireless APs.   With FIOS it is more involved.  The Actiontec is typically  fed with  coaxial cable and it is not a modem.   If you are interested in how it can be bridged and the resulting trade offs search this site  for links to more information.

0 Likes