Better (faster) router?
CStenfors
Contributor - Level 1

OK, I have the standard Ultraline Series 3 router that was common a few years ago. I was wondering if Verizon has a newer router that is capable of 802.11n and also of utilizong the 5Ghz spectrum. I don't mind if I have to pay for it, the alternative is that I have to buy one like that anyway and then have to go through the hassle of configulring my network to work with two routers/wireless access points.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Better (faster) router?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

They do: https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/dtlsfromhome/526

It's $80 for an ActionTec MI424-WR Rev. I. Top wireless speed is 130mbps (maybe 144Mbps, but it's rated for 300Mbps?) but it includes Gigabit ports and MoCa. You can get that if you see it as worth it, since Verizon supports it and will replace it under warranty as a part of the service. There are faster routers out there for the price (Wireless Department, really) that you can retire your current Westell as the main router with if you have an Ethernet connection between the ONT and the router, and do not specifically need certain FiOS TV features like CallerID or Remote DVR. Otherwise for the overall hardware specs, don't think you're going to beat the CPU/RAM/Flash on the ActionTec without getting into the $130 SOHO router range.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

They do: https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/dtlsfromhome/526

It's $80 for an ActionTec MI424-WR Rev. I. Top wireless speed is 130mbps (maybe 144Mbps, but it's rated for 300Mbps?) but it includes Gigabit ports and MoCa. You can get that if you see it as worth it, since Verizon supports it and will replace it under warranty as a part of the service. There are faster routers out there for the price (Wireless Department, really) that you can retire your current Westell as the main router with if you have an Ethernet connection between the ONT and the router, and do not specifically need certain FiOS TV features like CallerID or Remote DVR. Otherwise for the overall hardware specs, don't think you're going to beat the CPU/RAM/Flash on the ActionTec without getting into the $130 SOHO router range.

0 Likes
CStenfors
Contributor - Level 1

Awesome, thanks.

I've read through all the documentation I could find and I still coudn't tell if that router also includes the 5Ghz band?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@CStenfors wrote:

Awesome, thanks.

I've read through all the documentation I could find and I still coudn't tell if that router also includes the 5Ghz band?

No it does not.

Keller, TX 76248

Hubrisnxs
Legend

2.4 ghz and 160 max wireless.  It does have Gig E ports though 

0 Likes