Bit annoyed with this router that just came in the mail
nesagwa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yesterday I got into a support chat just to kind of see if I could get a new router, mine has given me intermittent problems for as long as I've had it (and let's face it Actiontecs aren't that great).  I have a Rev. D and requested a Rev. F since it does Wireless N (and since they refuse to release Rev. G to residential customers).  Everything went smoothly, he put in the order and surprisingly it got here the next morning (just now).

Unfortunately what I got in the box wasn't an Actiontec Rev. F.  What I got was a Westell 9100EM15 - a router that doesn't do Wireless N.  So I'm back in the same situation I was in before.

So yeah, I dunno really.  I could request yet another router of the correct model, but I don't know if I trust them to actually send one.

Re: Bit annoyed with this router that just came in the mail
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There has never been a guarantee as to what router Verizon would send out unless you get a tech who has routers in his van to open every box until you get the router you are looking for. Quite often the best solution to your problem is to just get your own router and set up the FiOS data Portion of the service to tailor what you need (TV, CallerID, VOD?).

0 Likes
nesagwa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah.

So immediately after receiving the incorrect router I chatted with "Nehru" who assured me that he would personally see to it that I got a revision F router.

Just opened my package and what do you know, another Westell 9100EM15.

I shouldn't have to randomly get the hardware I want from some install tech.

This whole hardware situation Verizon has set up is pretty ridiculous and I refuse to go spend money on hardware that they should be providing me with my paid subscription to their service.

So I give up.  In short, Verizon support can **bleep** themselves.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@nesagwa wrote:

Yeah.

So immediately after receiving the incorrect router I chatted with "Nehru" who assured me that he would personally see to it that I got a revision F router.

Just opened my package and what do you know, another Westell 9100EM15.

I shouldn't have to randomly get the hardware I want from some install tech.

This whole hardware situation Verizon has set up is pretty ridiculous and I refuse to go spend money on hardware that they should be providing me with my paid subscription to their service.

So I give up.  In short, Verizon support can **bleep** themselves.

They do provide you with a router that performs to the maximum that your service level requires.  If you are paying for the ultra hi speed package they will give you a wireless-n  version because your subscription would allow download speeds greater than what 54g can provide.  For the lower speed tier the router will allow 54g wireless and 100mb wired access to the internet which is beyond the maximum that your internet connection is capable of, even if you are using 1gb nics or wireless-n adapters, so they have met the provider requirements.  They are not responsible for your internal networking needs/desires so if you want to communicate between your in-house devices at wireless-n or wired 1gb then you'd need to provide your own hardware for that.

0 Likes