Re: Bonded MoCA 2.0 with Gigabit plan and STBs
mr324

Recently upgraded to the new STBs and I'm having a ton of choppy channels on the mini's.  I'm running my own network (ONT - Eero - switch - Actiontec WCB3000) which had previously been working perfectly.  Upgraded the STBs and now have this choppy channel issue.  Is it possible the MOCA connection is too slow for the new boxes, or is this irrelevant to the live TV stream?  I'm currently messing with an ECB6200 but can't get it to feed MOCA to the STBs.  I should have it set to channel 1150 and Band D Low, correct?  This choppy/freezing TV is killing me!

0 Likes
DumbEngineer

Can you share the details of how you replaced the Verizon router? I tried using an ethernet connection instead of a the coaxial connection between my router and the STB (since my router doesn't have a coaxial port) and I can't get TV service.

If I connect the STB directly to the wall, the TV works, so all of the signals are there. 

0 Likes
DumbEngineer

I got my setup working, here's what I did. Note that I did not say, "I figured it out!" Because I have no idea why this works for me and Capricorn1's 6-30-12 post did not. As I said in my previous post, the STB worked when I plugged it into the wall, so I guessed that it wanted ALL of the signal and I flipped the second splitter around. The garage/downstairs setup is identical to Capricorn1's post.

It's possible I didn't wait long enough for the STB to get its act together with the original setup because I got a "check the coaxial connection and plug it into the wall" error with the new setup, then suddenly the error left and TV loaded. I also recommend connecting the STB first before the MoCA adapter and the router since they seem less picky than the STB about picking up the correct signal. 

Apparently I can't post pictures, so hopefully links are allowed: https://imgur.com/hMwm2MD 

0 Likes
DumbEngineer

I lied, the connection is unstable, the search function doesn't work, and on demand is broken. Back to the drawing board...

0 Likes
mr324

Did you setup the port forwards from the original verizon router?  The setup I had previously working with my old verizon STBs had ethernet from the ONT to my router, then ethernet from my router to a MOCA adapter.  The coax comes in from the ONT to an 8 way splitter.  The moca adapter had a coax line into one of the 8 on the splitter.  This worked perfectly for me for a few years until the upgrade to the One mini system.  It requires that you copy the port forwards from the verizon box to your router, but i had 100% functionality.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I see what you're trying to do ... but you need at least three MoCA bridges to make this work.  The bridge you have at the end where your personal router is located is only going to listen to one frequency at a time and you actually need the STB on the LAN side of your router and the ONT on the WAN side.

Here's what I would do (not knowing specifically the capability of the MoCA bridges you have but since you reference the ability to change frequencies, I believe this will work:

1. Connect ONT Ethernet to a MoCA bridge.   Configure this bridge to run on C4-1000Mhz (if that's not possible, any of the D-bands except for D1).  If you can configure a encryption password, set one to prevent the STB from trying to bind to it.   Connect Coax output of bridge to source splitter.

2. Install a Low-Pass filter inline on the ONT Coax output (this will keep any incoming MoCA from the ONT from coming thru as well as prevent your signal leaking out).   Connect this to the source splitter.  

3. At destination end, connect STB to destination splitter 1.

4. Connect a second splitter to other output of destination splitter 2.

5. Connect first output of splitter 2 to a MoCA bridge.  Configure this bridge for channel C4 with the same password you used for the other end.   Connect the ethernet output of this bridge to the WAN interface of your personal router.

6. Connect the second output of splitter 2 to a second MoCA bridge.   Configure this brdige for channel D1-1150Mhz with no password (this is what the STB will bind to for guide data, etc.).   Connect the ethernet output of this bridge to a LAN interface on your personal router.

Make sure all three bridges are set to NOT negotiate for a channel -- particularly the two running on C4 (or whatever channel you chose).   

Using C and D channels should keep the bridges from trying to interconnect incorrectly and is essentially what Verizon is doing with their router (their router essentially has two bridges inside -- once running on C4 and one running on D1).

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Oh ... and since you're using a Bonded adapter -- that uses two frequencies.   for the pairing between the two adapters to get a full 1Gb of bandwidth (or close to it).   So make sure both frequencies of the adapter at the source and the destination end that you're pairing are running an identical pair of frequencies -- neither of which is D1.

mr324

For my case I'm purely using the MOCA adapter to provide service to the One Mini's throughout the house.  My current WCB3000 was working perfectly prior to switching to the new One system.  Now live TV is extremely choppy, so I thought MOCA 1.1 may not be fast enough, hence my upgrade to the ECB6200.  I've read though that MOCA 1.1 should be fast enough...what am I missing??

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

MoCA 1.1 is definitely fast enough.   I have TiVO mini's in my house (3 of them) -- two of which are behind an older MoCA 1.1 segment -- with absolutely no issues.  The mini's use at most 30 mb/s of bandwidth and MoCA 1.1 will give you 200mb/s.

I will say, have you tried rebooting the Tivo main unit.   My Tivo has been really snotty lately and has required a reboot on a number of occasions to make it "sane" again.   Tivo's code quality has really gone downhill over the past year or so at least on the Roamio's and satellite minis.

Leon796

Could you configure this for a setup without STB needs, but the use of additional MoCA adaptors that provide ethernet to other access points for ethernet (for my streaming devices) and to my wifi network in other areas of my home?

0 Likes