Bridged G1100s over MOCA but ETHERNET ONT
SLOWGIGS

Have a 2nd G1100 BRIDGED via moca coax in a different room providing ethernet & wireless there..(in settings,, I added the moca coax on main router to the existing LAN side items..Obviously the BROADBAND (via ethernet) I left on WAN). I have never seen this described in any of the forums but this has always worked fine back to old MRT routers. & tech said it was proper..

BUT a couple things are notable.  The VZN system on YOUR end randomly shows either the wireless WPA settings from main router & sometimes the wireless settings I have on AccessPoint(bridge)??? As such, the STBs randomly connect to either G1100 for forwarding??

Also..about 6 months ago(after a firmware update) random devices will appear in access point admin screen? (The ones that r directly connected to main) its ok but I also no longer see ALL the devices that are actually physically connected to gateway appearing in its admin device screen??  (Only the gateway G1100 is doing DHCP & DNS..both are disabled  in 2nd G1100..they r provided from gateway 1100)  all is working fine, never any problems but it seems something is going on/mixing with the IPtables??  Idk..

PS. Its a pain, but occasionally you must disconnect your 2nd G1100 & attach ethernet from ONT to WAN port..(also have to disable IP address & re-enable broadband DHCP.. This is only way to get the FIRMWARE to update on secondary bridges!  It will only update firmware when internet is attached to WAN ethernet port if your internet is ethernet from ONT!

0 Likes
Re: Bridged G1100s over MOCA but ETHERNET ONT
SLOWGIGS

I'm sorry...I should have mentioned I did NOT change ANY devices under Bridge in the settings... That was only something I had to do with two MI424 routers.

The 2nd g1100 functions as a lan access point when u disable its "broadband connection" & disable the LAN DHCP & set a static LAN ip.

Sorry for confusion. 

0 Likes
Re: Bridged G1100s over MOCA but ETHERNET ONT
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SLOWGIGS wrote:

The VZN system on YOUR end randomly shows either the wireless WPA settings from main router & sometimes the wireless settings I have on AccessPoint(bridge)??? As such, the STBs randomly connect to either G1100 for forwarding??

Mixing wireless settings? How can this be? I don't think these two devices have the same IP or MAC address. Verizon STBs' behavior is not well documented anywhere. I see G1100 multicasts (224.0.0.1 is really all devices on the network) router advertisement through IGMP, even when its WAN function is disabled. The STBs probably believe both of them are routers so it connects to either of them.

You can disable IGMP in Routing. Then the router will probably broadcasts its advertisement through the broadcast address megaphone.

@SLOWGIGS wrote:

I also no longer see ALL the devices that are actually physically connected to gateway appearing in its admin device screen??

Realize the Network Connection page is based on routinely pinging all IP addresses on the network. It may take sometime for the router to recognize a device or delete an inactive device from its memory. The connection is also limited to a certain number of devices, so only a certain number of devices will appear there.

@SLOWGIGS wrote:

It will only update firmware when internet is attached to WAN ethernet port if your internet is ethernet from ONT!

That's correct. The router does not allow user to input a gateway address in the Home/Office Network, therefore it only uses the gateway in WAN network when connected to the ONT.

0 Likes