Bridging G3100 for Eero?
Oopey
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi All,

I recently got the Eero mesh system and I have a G3100 router.  My current set up is that the Eero system is bridged and the G3100 router is not bridged.  I have 2 questions: 

1) is it bad if I just take the Eero out of bridge mode and let it automatically assign (but also leave G3100 as-is, i.e., not in bridge mode)?  I think this is called double NAT?  I don't have anything except the gateway Eero plugged into the LAN on the G3100; I guess my STBs would be on a separate network, but I don't think they would need to connect with anything on the wifi/eero/lan network.

2) if it is bad to double NAT, then does anyone have instructions on how to bridge the G3100 and use Eero to automatically assign?  (There are some functions on Eero I'd like to try, but which are unavailable if Eero is bridged.)

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Bridging G3100 for Eero?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello again.

When you bridge, you lose some security features. These features are available on G3100 though (e.g. device blocking, web filtering, parental controls, and etc.)

This is a part of the reasons why I suggested you to buy Aruba AP11 instead. Those devices are meant to be bridged and also provide an additional layer of security features (e.g. web filtering, bandwidth limiting, and so on.)

You can double NAT your network. The devices on the downstream EERO network can access G3100's network, but not the other way around. To let upstream devices access EERO's network, you need to disable EERO's firewall, set two gateways on upstream devices (not possible on many devices, only Windows and Linux can achieve this) or use Static NAT function on EERO (not supported perhaps). If you have wireless printers or other smart devices that require access across the two networks, it is very complicated to configure. I would not bother to double NAT unless you have some advanced routers or devices.

If you want more EERO setup support, I advise you to contact their support.

Oopey
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Cang,

I think I only have devices downstream of Eero network, I don't think I have anything upstream (except for three tv STBs, which I don't think really matter for this).

What I mean by this is that I shut the wifi radios on the G3100 router, and I have the gateway Eero plugged into one of the four LAN ports on the G3100 router; the other three LAN ports are not being used. I also have one other Eero plugged into a GoCoax moca adapter. There is an 8 port gigabit switch connected to both Eeros. So I assume that means that everything in my house, wired or wifi, is going through Eero. Meaning I hopefully won't have any problems. My kids aren't old enough to be playing online games that might have problems with double NAT. So I should be fine...right?

(Also, I now have an Cat 8 ethernet wire plugged into my ONT and the other end into the G3100 WAN port, awaiting gigabit activation tomorrow (Monday)!  I did the "self-install" because all that was needed was running this one wire - fingers crossed it all works well!).

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Oopey wrote:

I also have one other Eero plugged into a GoCoax moca adapter. There is an 8 port gigabit switch connected to both Eeros.

This topology may not work unless you bridge all EEROs. If you have an EERO plugged into a GoCoax 2.5, it is connected to G3100's LAN. Since you have another EEOR plugged into G3100's LAN port, they are on the same network.

For double NAT to happen, that is making the main EERO as a gateway, you need to connect the other two EEROs to the main EERO's LAN, not in the same network as EERO's WAN (G3100's LAN).

The connection should be G3100 <LAN--WAN> EERO (main) <LAN--> layer 2 switch <--> EERO 2, EERO 3.

I could be wrong with this. I am not familiar with EERO's device.