Cable and connector got damaged. Would like some help in identifying the cable and the coupler.
notmrfios
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think the cable is   Singlemode Simplex Fiber Optic Cable (9/125) - SC/APC to SC/APC but there are different "M"s 1, 3, 5 10 etc . . . Not sure which one.

Also the coupler would appreciate help finding it.

Thanks
Steven

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cable and connector got damaged. Would like some help in identifying the cable and the coupler.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The different "M" would be your patch/cable length. APC means you have an angled optical connector (needed on PON systems), and SC is the type of Fiber connector. FiOS uses single-mode Simplex Fiber. The wavelengths Verizon uses for FiOS are 1490 and 1550 nm (to ONT) and 1310 nm (return to CO).

Lots of options out there to choose from which meet those specifications (like this: https://www.fs.com/products/76115.html?attribute=3837&id=307338 for the coupler and this for the cable: https://www.fs.com/products/12285.html ). Verizon will replace both for you if you ask them though. It sounds like your Fiber isn't damaged if you were able to get the ONT online by connecting it up to the feed from the outside.

View solution in original post

Re: Cable and connector got damaged. Would like some help in identifying the cable and the coupler.
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like SC to SC. Can't tell if SM or MM. 🤔

notmrfios
Enthusiast - Level 2

@dexman wrote:

The only fiber optic cable utilized in a typical FiOS residential setup is from the outside drop/feed to the optical input to the ONT.

So yes.  Even though I am not sure of the terms you are using here is my setup 

• outside wire runs into a small box attached to the inside wall
  • a wire runs from the inside wall box to the Fios device.

The inside small wall box got damaged and the wire connecting to it running to the FIOS device.

What I did temporarily to make it work is

• open up the small box attached to the inside wall. 
  • disconnect the wire running from the outside from the coupler that got damaged that can be seen in the photo
  • remove the wire going from the inside wall box that was running to the FIOS device
  • connect the wire running from the outside ( what I did in step 2) and connect it directly into the FIOS device

and it worked,

I did this because I was under pressure to have my FIOS connection working for some very important meetings.

Thanks

0 Likes
notmrfios
Enthusiast - Level 2

@dexman wrote:

Looks like SC to SC. Can't tell if SM or MM. 🤔

I'm pretty uninformed. Can I trouble you be more specific.

Are you referring to the coupler or the wire?

What can I do, (take a better picture), so that you may be able to help.

Thanks

Steven

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are three major types of connectors used with fiber optic cables:

FC: Screw-on connectors.

SC: Square shaped connectors.

LC: Slim profile connectors.

And:

SM: Single mode fiber.

MM: Multi mode fiber.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the outside box has been damaged, I would reach out to Verizon to have a technician replace the box and any damaged/compromised fiber optic cables and connectors. 🙂

notmrfios
Enthusiast - Level 2

Outside box is fine. 

Still looking for answer of how to determine what the sire is and what the connector is.

notmrfios
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the detailed information.

I am looking for some way to know what I have. Maybe I could take a different picture or something to help me determine what I have and what wore I would need and what connector.

Thanks again 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It looks...to me anyway...that the separate piece of plastic slides into the fiber optical port in the rear of the 211.

The SC to SC fiber jumper connects the female jack on the end of Verizon's drop with that plastic adapter which slides into the back of the ONT.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why don't you just contact Verizon and ask them?  For best results, use their social media team available by tweeting @Verizonsupport or by DM on their Facebook page.