Cable modem
DennisB1

I hooked up my Motorola Surfboard modem (about 1 year old) to my Fios cable outlet but it doesn't work. It worked perfectly when I was with Comcast. Do cable modems work with Fios?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cable modem
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Unfortunately Cable Companies and FiOS use Different technologies so the two aren't interchangeable.

Cable uses DOCSIS +   and FiOS Uses MOCA

If you have FiOS TV - you are pretty much garunteed that you'll need a Verizon Router.

If it's internet only and you can connect it with ethetnet, then you can purchase any "router"     the Surfboard is a modem, and FiOS doesn't use modems

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Unfortunately Cable Companies and FiOS use Different technologies so the two aren't interchangeable.

Cable uses DOCSIS +   and FiOS Uses MOCA

If you have FiOS TV - you are pretty much garunteed that you'll need a Verizon Router.

If it's internet only and you can connect it with ethetnet, then you can purchase any "router"     the Surfboard is a modem, and FiOS doesn't use modems

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DennisB wrote:

I hooked up my Motorola Surfboard modem (about 1 year old) to my Fios cable outlet but it doesn't work. It worked perfectly when I was with Comcast. Do cable modems work with Fios?

They should have provided you with a device, probably an Actiontec router, for you to make the interent connection via your ont.  The device they provided was a router capable of being connected via a coax cabel (moca) or an ethernet cable though typically the connection would be coax.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note that FIOS service, unless you are in a Multiple Dwelling unit(MDU) where DSL might be used, does not use ANY modems.   They often deliver the Internet from the ONT to the Router as Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA).  You can get it switched to regular Internet which works better, and is required if you have Internet speeds over 100 mbps.          .

0 Likes