Cabling for Fios internet and phone, no TV
BlueRiband1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm losing my copper phone and high speed internet service to copper retirement.  This is in a pre-war apartment with only twisted pair wiring.   I'm planning out a new media cabinet for Fios intenet and phone, no TV What has me confused is whether I need to run Cat5e or Coax cable.  Since I don't have a television there is not a strand of Coax in my apartment.  Which of these two is the right installation?

1) I run Cat5e from the media cabinet to my computer work station.  Router goes into the media cabinet, a small amount of Coax connects the ONT to the router, then my Cat5e cabling plugs into the router.

2) Instead I run Coax from the media cabinet to my computer work station.  The router doesn't go into the media cabinet but instead connects at the Coax port at my work station and a patch cord plugs connects my computer with the router.

I'd prefer to go with Option 1.  I have no intention of ever getting TV service.  I just don't want to spend hours running the wrong cable and jacks which will only have to be pulled out.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cabling for Fios internet and phone, no TV
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

For Internet only, you can get it via ethernet from the ONT.

Just ask that it be provisioned that way when installed.

Up to you to distribute it from there.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

For Internet only, you can get it via ethernet from the ONT.

Just ask that it be provisioned that way when installed.

Up to you to distribute it from there.

BlueRiband1
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thank you - that's exactly what I needed to know. Fortunately the job is made easier by running the Cat5e through hollow plastic decorative mouldings as sold in home improvement stores.
0 Likes