can anyone reccomend a router 'N" to be used as an access point for FIOS
oncdoc
Enthusiast - Level 2

im trying to decide between BUFFALO WZR-HP-G300NH or the linksys 655 xtreme.

based on my research I can turn off fios wifi and use one of these, right?

anyother ones come to mind please do share. I would like range and speed as priority and ease of use.

0 Likes
Re: can anyone reccomend a router 'N" to be used as an access point for FIOS
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@oncdoc wrote:

im trying to decide between BUFFALO WZR-HP-G300NH or the linksys 655 xtreme.

based on my research I can turn off fios wifi and use one of these, right?

anyother ones come to mind please do share. I would like range and speed as priority and ease of use.

I use a dlink dir-655, nice feature.  I didn't turn of the VZ wireless, devices normally will connect to dlink as it's closest but if I'm in the basement the devices will connect to the Westell instead.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Given your two routers listed, I would tend to lean toward the Buffalo since it has an "access point" mode which will be useful in the FiOS environment where you also have an ActionTec as the primary connection point to the Internet.

It doesn't appear to be dual-band -- which is something you may want to consider since a dual band configuration will allow you to access the less crowded 5ghz band for the Wireless N signal instead of just the 2.4ghz range which is crowded by most existing Wireless B/G routers.

I use a Belkin Wireless N router which also has the capability to double as an access point and is cheap since it doesn't come with all the "extras" the routers you are looking at offer.  

oncdoc
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks for the responses.

Is the Belkin "pre-N router" an N or not... thats confusing.

0 Likes
oncdoc
Enthusiast - Level 2

D-Link DGL-4500 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4/5GHz Simultaneous Dual Band Xtreme N Gigabit Gaming Router up to 300Mbps/ USB x1

would that work?????

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just about any router will work ... you just won't be using it in "router" mode.   With that said, this particular model is a bit of overkill for what you probably need.   With gigabit ports, unless you're hosting a gaming server in your house for your friends to get together and play, these are really not necessary.   A 100mbit connection will far exceed your FiOS upstream/downstream speeds.

Additionally, many routers can only shape and prioritize traffic as it goes thru the router.  When used as an access point, you don't get this capability.   This router also has USB printer sharing and file sharing as well ... if you don't plan to use those features, you're paying for something you don't need.

Of course, you need to have Wireless N adapters in your machines and have them be dual band capable as well.

A dual-band router however is a good choice.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

If you want to use the gigabit switch portion of the router and do alot of moving files around on your local networkd, the gigabit feature could be useful if that is why you purchase it.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct ... gigabit is nice if you have local traffic.   If not, the upstream router (ActionTec/Westell) or the ONT itself is going to be 100mbit and your gigabit ports will simply run in 100mb mode.

0 Likes