Can I connect using a USB connection through FIOS?
convolvolus
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Ethernet jack on my PC doesn't work.

I have Verizon DSL.

I am currently connected through a USB connection.

I used to use a modem with USB connection.

Now I user a router with USB connection.

I am getting FIOS this week.

Will I be able to connect using a USB connection since Ethernet is not an option?

0 Likes
Re: Can I connect using a USB connection through FIOS?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS doesn't support USB connectivity from the router to the PC. You'll have to order a new Ethernet adapter if your PC's Ethernet port (Integrated?) is dead. If the NIC isn't disabled in the BIOS or in the System, and has drivers installed, I suggest investigating whether or not your PC has PCI or PCI-Express (preferred) slots avilable. I am strongly against using USB for network as that is unneeded load on the system where it is not needed in the first place.

If your system has at least a PCI-E 1x slot, I would suggest getting this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle...

Now if this is a laptop, you're kind of stuck short of getting a decent Wireless card. I'd once again recommend a Wireless N card from Intel that can be inserted into an mPCI or mPCI-E slot. If your laptop has PCMCIA Bays (really old) or ExpressPort slots, get a Wired NIC for that.

Certainly avoid USB though. With the highter speeds of FiOS USB becomes worthless. Even with DSL, you're limited to not even 6Mbps on a USB port. You're better off just replacing the Ethernet NIC as the only things that really support USB still to this day are basic ADSL and DOCSIS 1.1/2.0 Cable modems. DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems, proper ADSL2+ modems and Fiber-Optic routers don't support USB.

convolvolus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks very much! I'm not too sure if my PC has that port. But would a Linksys USB300M Network Adapter do the job?

It claims that it can connect to a USB port on my computer and have an Ethernet jack at the other end.

I think this would be a good alternate solution.

Your opinion? Thank you!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Something like that shouldn't have a problem with working with the machine.

What model PC do you have? I can take a look to see what it does support for you.

convolvolus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow thanks. I have a DELL DIMENSION E310. I think I'm probably going to go for the USB-Ethernet Adapter. I'm not too comfortable or experienced working with BIOS or the back of my computer in general Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK.

That machine has a single PCI-E 1x port so the card I linked above would also work for future note. It also has two PCI slots, one of which might have a dial-up modem in it if the machine had one ordered with it. The Integrated Ethernet port is an Intel PRO/100 NIC which can be disabled or enabled within the BIOS (It's a simple setting that can be changed, no harm to the system) and can also be enabled or disabled, or installed/uninstalled via Windows. The Integrated Intel PRO/100 NIC is found on a PCI Bus.

If your Integrated port lights up when a cable is inserted (and a known good Ethernet device is attached at the other end), I would place good bets in it actually being able to work. It might just need a driver!

convolvolus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks again. But I fear that this ehternet inactivity is due to hardware damage.

0 Likes