Can I have two separate internet connections to my 8 line ONT?
mutterz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was on the phone with verizon wanting to get a 2nd internet line that would be separate from the one I have but I was told I could not do it.

I have an 8 phone line ONT with 6 lines in use and it also has 4 ethernet out ports with 1 in use and 4 T1/E1 ports. I was told by the installer that this ONT could have more then one active ethernet line but im being told by verizon I cant do it.

Why would they make an ONT with 4 lines if you cant even use them?? Should I call back and try with somebody else?

This is the ONT I have.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I have two separate internet connections to my 8 line ONT?
mutterz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just called any got somebody else that right away said she could do it but has never done it before after about 10 mins on hold it was done. Also my monthly fees only went up about $30 and ill get a 2nd line to match my speed now way more then I need for what I want to do buy it works I guess. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most onts have up to 4 telephone lines but only one internet line. 

Not sure what model you have.  May well be your Ont manufacturer supports such but Verizon does not.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why do you want two internet lines?

Maybe you can accomplish what you want with two or more routers.

If you tell us what your trying to do we might be able to come up with a suction that works with a single internet feed.

Thanks.

0 Likes
mutterz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I already have 5 routers setup and linked together to make everything in my house wired. I would like a second line to run a game server and voice server like vent and its nothing that doe snot go by there ToS.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why do you want a separate internet feed for the voice and game servers (which are a violation of the ToS, but that's a different discussion)?

If you're trying to separate services, you can do that with routers.  The number of routers needed depends on the capabilities of each.  Commercial grade routers support creating different networks on different ports.  While more expensive than home routers, you'd make it up in  few months or a year of not paying for another internet line.

If you're trying to manage badwidth, that too can be down with a commercial grade router.

Good Luck

0 Likes
mutterz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just called any got somebody else that right away said she could do it but has never done it before after about 10 mins on hold it was done. Also my monthly fees only went up about $30 and ill get a 2nd line to match my speed now way more then I need for what I want to do buy it works I guess. 

0 Likes