Can I run a server off my residential Internet?
patfreed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi I was wondering if it is okay to run a Minecraft (it's a PC game) server off my 25 mb/s upload plan. I've heard that plans have been canceled for doing this. (Server is non-profit)

Thanks

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I run a server off my residential Internet?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I have never seen anyone get in trouble for that, but it does say in the TOS that you can't run servers on your residential account.   I don't think they police that, but that could change in the future.  I have had fios for quite a few years, and then DSL with Verizon before that, and have never heard an instance where someone was cancelled for doing it.  So I guess do it at your own risk, or YMMV?       I would think they would give you a warning first before action anyway, I know for a fact they give you a couple warnings even on copy right infringements, so I could imagine that they would give you warnings here to. 

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

I have never seen anyone get in trouble for that, but it does say in the TOS that you can't run servers on your residential account.   I don't think they police that, but that could change in the future.  I have had fios for quite a few years, and then DSL with Verizon before that, and have never heard an instance where someone was cancelled for doing it.  So I guess do it at your own risk, or YMMV?       I would think they would give you a warning first before action anyway, I know for a fact they give you a couple warnings even on copy right infringements, so I could imagine that they would give you warnings here to. 

patfreed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seeing as you have 2k+ posts, I think you know what you're talking about. Thanks for the help.

Jixii
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did you ever get an answer? I would like to run a minecraft server also. 

patfreed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I ran one for about a year, nothing from Verizon.