Can I still use my own router in place of G1100, if WCB6200Q extender is connected through coax?
NetworkNewbie

I plan to set up VLAN for my home network, and the immediate hurdle is the lack of VLAN support by G1100.

So I'm thinking of replacing G1100 with my own router.

But I have cable TV from verizon that I get through a cable card, not a set-top box.

I also have a WCB6200Q extender that was set up by a Verizon technician and is connected through coax, not ethernet.  I tried to put the WCB6200Q on the ethernet, but it created its own, separate network, which made all of my Sonos speakers unavailable from other network devices. 

Under these circumstances, will I still be able to replace the G1100?

How will the WCB6200Q be connected to the home network if it seems to work properly only on coax?

0 Likes
Re: Can I still use my own router in place of G1100, if WCB6200Q extender is connected through coax?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you put the WCB6200Q on Ethernet, it should not create another network as it is only a layer 2 device and is incapable of routing. You did something else I think. Pictures would help.

For VLANs, you don't need to buy a full-blown router to replace the G1100, a smart switch with inter-VLAN routing and/or static routing would suffice. Actually, as of some users discovered G1100 does not do static routing persistently, so this method does not work.

0 Likes