Can i use my own router?
NetGuy1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'd like to replace Fios Actiontech router with my own wireless N router over CAT5. Is it possible or i must use actiontech anyway?

Thank you for any advise. 

Re: Can i use my own router?
Hubrisnxs
Legend
  • What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
  • Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?
  • Do I have to use the supplied router with Verizon FiOS?
  • If you have TV service with Verizon FiOS then yes you have to have the Actiontec somewhere in the mix.  The above links will give you some different configuration ideas. 

Internet only 
    If you are getting only FIOS internet, you can request a cat5 install from the ONT to the router. Running cat5 instead of coax from the ONT to the router is up to the installer. The tech will install the Actiontec in order to verify that everything is working correctly. Once the installer has verified that you are receiving your provisioned speeds, you can replace the Actiontec. When swapping out your primary router be sure to release your WAN DHCP lease or you may have trouble acquiring a new WAN DHCP lease. 
    »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease 

FIOS-TV and Internet
    Since FiOS set-top-boxes rely on the MoCA LAN for guide data, widgets and VOD, most alternative configurations include the Actiontec in a secondary role as a MOCA bridge for TV service.

The Pros/Cons of a number of possible configurations for connecting your own router are detailed in the FAQ:
    »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

You may find Verizon unwilling to provide support unless you reconnect the Actiontec as the primary router. Of course, you can post your question in the »Verizon Fiber Optics forum.

Some older routers may not be able to support FiOS' higher speeds. For example, some users have discovered a 16-17 Mbps limit with the Linksys WRT54G using third party firmware.

0 Likes