Can I use NIM100 to bypass the quantum gateway?
somu76

Hi,

My current setup is like this:

ONT->COAX -> MOCA Splitter -> COAX -> Actiontec/QuantumGateway (tried both) ->Ethernet HomeNetwork (Cat5E Closet)

I am having issues with connecting to VPNs with this setup. I have switched from Actiontec in the hopes of changing the firewall to see if it would help, but the Quantum Gateway is having the same problem.

I also tried bridging the Fios Router, making my NetGear get the IP from Fios, and am still seeing the same behavior...

ONT -> COAX -> MOCA Splitter -> COAX -> QuantumGateway -> LAN PORT to WAN Port of NetGear (Bridged) -> Ethernet Home Network

I am reading about hte NIM 100, and want to see if I can use it to take hte FIOS Router completely out of the picture here... I do not have TV Service. Just phone (which seems to be not using this COAX), and Internet. Is the setup below feasible?

ONT -> COAX -> MOCA Splitter -> COAX -> NIM100 ->Ethernet ->NetGear -> Home Network ?

If I have to change my ONT to Ethernet from COAX, I was told that I have to run a Cat5E cable from outside to my network closet in the basement, which would not be easily possible I believe, so am trying to figure out an easier solution.

Anyone try this, and does it work or make sense?

Please let me know.

0 Likes
Re: Can I use NIM100 to bypass the quantum gateway?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you don't have TV service, then no need for Qunatum router at all.

You can use your own.

Just have Internet provisioned to be via Ethernet from ONT.

Hook your router striaght up and off you go.

0 Likes
somu76

Rob,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but for some reason I could not login to the forums yesterday to reply. it kept going in a signin loop...

Your suggestion of having the internet provisioned via Ethernet would require an Ethernet cable from the ONT box outside to my network closet in the basement correct? Or can I reuse the existing Coax cable with the change?

I have a Verizon guy coming in two weeks to setup a network jack, which will also involve them running the cable I am presuming (if possible). In the meantime, I have ordered the NIM 100, which will arrive today, and I want to test it out. If that works, I will cancel the technician visit.

However, upon further reading, it seems like instead of NIM100, I might need the DLINK DXN-221/220 for what I am trying to achieve here... Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,

somu.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@somu76 wrote:

Rob,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but for some reason I could not login to the forums yesterday to reply. it kept going in a signin loop...

Thanks,

somu.

Thats probably because you left your machine turned on since the last time you were in the forums.  There are a couple of issues (bugs) in the sign on process.  

1 is that apparently once you've signed on you are signed on for ever more unless you restart your machine.

2 is that the SSO process when you sign on to the forums attempts to link the forum sign on to the home page sign on.  If you didn't sign on to the home page this results in a pseudo sign - apparent from the Hi and no name at top right on the page.

when you next sign on it appears that the SSO process attempts to check the SSO cookie credentials but they don't match the task associated with the new sign on attempt so it throws you into a sign on failure loop.

If you go back to the home page and sign out it will all start working again however it would be nice if the developers fixed the issue as it's bee around for months

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@somu76 wrote:

Rob,

Your suggestion of having the internet provisioned via Ethernet would require an Ethernet cable from the ONT box outside to my network closet in the basement correct? Or can I reuse the existing Coax cable with the change?

I have a Verizon guy coming in two weeks to setup a network jack, which will also involve them running the cable I am presuming (if possible). In the meantime, I have ordered the NIM 100, which will arrive today, and I want to test it out. If that works, I will cancel the technician visit.

However, upon further reading, it seems like instead of NIM100, I might need the DLINK DXN-221/220 for what I am trying to achieve here... Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,

somu.

Not sure what the DX221 is but looks like some kind of cable modem?  I doubt very much that would work woth FIOS

If you are having an ethernet cable run, you can just remove the Verizon router completely and connect your own router directly to that cable once they've changed the ONT provisioning.

0 Likes
somu76

Thanks for the explanation about the sign-in.. i figured it to be something like that...

For the DLINK model I referenced, it seems to be a MOCA WAN bridge that is referenced here http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16793

I got the NIM100 today, so I am debating whether to test this or just return it.. since it seems to be MOCA LAN bridge that is not compatible...

Reading through the forums here, I also noticed someone tried to use PowerLine Adapters to get the ethernet cable bridged to the basement (if running the cable all the way to the basement is hard/not an option).. am wondering if going that route will work also... and get the ethernet cable to near a power outlet rather than all the way to the basement....

0 Likes