can no longer access a website - why?
dashingirish

As of yesterday, I can no longer access the local school district's website.  Says it cannot connect with the website. I've called around and everyone else seems able to connect, so the site is not down. We've got FIOS - have had it for a long, long time - and none of our equipment or situations have changed.  No computer in this house - not our PCs or the Macs - can log onto the site.  Help!

0 Likes
Re: can no longer access a website - why?
Hubrisnxs
Legend
it will self heal. I can explain why its happening if u want but you should be able to temporarily access it with a proxy. Got to www.greensurf.info and u can access it until you get a new ip address.

The best thing for you to do in my opinion is physically power off your router when you got to bed tonight. In the morning when you turn it on you will like get a new ip address and be able to access.
margaretb2

I am having the same problem and it is driving me nuts,   I can get on my banks website when I try to

log in i get message can not connect etc,  same with my  ordering from a shopping network i can't log into any secondary pages

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

that's slightly different than the original poster's issue.  you're issue has to deal with secure websites. 

You may want to follow the instructions here.

If you get the "page cannot be displayed" then I'm afraid you can't access SSL sites.
An example of this picture can be found here!

Here are the steps that you should try to fix your "secure sites problem".

Verify that Internet Explorer Is Using 128-Bit Encryption:

• In Internet Explorer, on the Help menu, click About Internet Explorer 
  • The level of encryption on your computer appears next to the words Cipher Strength. 
  • Verify that the Cipher Strength value appears as 128-bit 
  • If the Cipher Strength is anything less then 128-bit, download the "Explorer Internet High Encryption Pack" to your computer's hard disk, and then install it.

Delete Temporary Internet Files

• There's also a possibility of some corrupted files in your Temporary Internet Files (TIF) storage. You should clear these 
  • In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and select the General tab 
  • Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files, and click OK when you are prompted to confirm the deletion

Configure Security settings for the Trusted sites zone in Internet Explorer:

• In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and select the Security tab 
  • Select Trusted sites, and then click Default Level 
  • Add the secure Web site you are trying to access to the Trusted sites zone. To do so, click Sites, type the address (URL) of the site in the Add this Web site to the zone box 
  • Click Add, click OK, and then click Apply

Clear the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) slate and AutoComplete history:

• In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and select the Content tab 
  • Under Certificates, click Clear SSL State 
  • Click OK when you receive the message that the SSL cache was successfully cleared 
  • Under Personal information, click AutoComplete 
  • Under Clear AutoComplete history, click Clear Forms. Click OK when you are prompted to confirm the operation.

Verify that Internet Explorer is configured to use SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0

• In Internet Explorer, click on the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and select the Advanced tab 
  • In the Settings box, under the Security header, click to select the Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0 check boxes (if they are not already selected), and then click OK

Verify that the Date and Time Settings on Your Computer Are Correct:

• Because SSL certificates have an expiration date, if the date on your computer isn't correct, it may prevent you from connecting to secure sites. 
  • To verify that your computer is configured with the correct date and time settings 
  • Click Start > click Control Panel 
  • Click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options, and then click Date and Time 
  • Select the Date & Time tab 
  • Check to make sure that the date and time settings are configured to use the current date and time, and then click OK

Check the file integrity of the IE and Outlook:

• Click Start>Run> "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) It might ask for the Windows CD to upload the corrupted files 
  • Click Start>Run> regsvr32 softpub.dll (without quotes) and wait for the OK message; then try again.

Here are some Microsoft Knowledge Base articles dealing with this problem that you may like to look at if you aren't able to solve the problem. Just Google the error number and you should find some additional info on it!

• 261328 - Cipher Strength Appears as 0-Bit in Internet Explorer 
  • 301803- Error Message When You Try to Connect to Secure Site: Client Certificate Has Expired or Is Not Yet Valid 
  • 303807- "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error Message When You Try to View Web Page on a Secure Web Site 
  • 305217- Page Cannot Be Displayed Error During SSL 3.0 Server Session Timeout 
  • 811383- Internet Explorer Connectivity and Certificate Display Issues 
  • 813951- You Cannot Access Your MSN E-mail Account or Authenticate with a Web Site in Various Programs 
  • 821814- You Receive a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error Message When You Post to a Site That Requires Authentication

Hope this helps,

FSC2
Contributor - Level 1

Try flush dns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXJJb7sI_R0

video tutorial here.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Go to http://www.grc.com/dns/operation.htm

#2 Download the tool, that is being talked about.

#3 Scan it for malware, if you want to.

#4 Start the tool. You do not need to check the DNS Servers for how fast they are, at this time.

#5 The DNS Servers that your computer is using show up as:

a) Orange?

b) Green?

0 Likes