Can somebody FIOS savy answer this one?
Barbara92
Enthusiast - Level 3

A couple of years ago I did have FIOS installed in my house before we, regretibly, switched to Com{word filter avoidance}. Anyway, we are back to FIOS now luckily, which has been great, except for the few few lack of options foe online TV. Personally I think a TV tuner should come with the package, or for perhaps a marginal cost more.

Sorry, to the point....It was quite a few years ago that I'm not even sure Coax was Verizons main preference for setup yet...I ha some old D Link WIRED router which I don't recall how it was hook up... but I also noticed they had to run an ethernet port from somewhere (Can't tell where unfortunately) but it comes in, winds around the wall in my computer room, and ends right benieth the computer.

I test it out, and it is in deed, no longer active, which I'm sure FIOS did when we cancelled them the first time.

I'm wondering though, since it is there and everything, how difficult would it be to reactive this thing? Preferably even on my own, if this is possible. ALso, what would the benefits be to have a spare Eithernet jack on my wall? And no, I dont play on doing any power over ethernet networking any time soon. Thanks for your help guys!

0 Likes
Re: Can somebody FIOS savy answer this one?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Think you'll find that the ethernet cable ends somewhere near where the old ONT was, which is probably the same place the current ONT is.  Either the dlink router was plugged into the ont and the ethernet cable into the router or the ethernet cable was plugged into the ont and the dlink router was plugged in the end of the ethernet cable in your computer room.

If you want to use the cable in the computer room you could connect what used to be the ont end of the cable to a lan port on the VZ coax router.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Barbara9 wrote:

A couple of years ago I did have FIOS installed in my house before we, regretibly, switched to Com{word filter avoidance}. Anyway, we are back to FIOS now luckily, which has been great, except for the few few lack of options foe online TV. Personally I think a TV tuner should come with the package, or for perhaps a marginal cost more.

Do you mean a TV tuner that would fit into a pc?

The issue with that is that the tv signal on the coax is scrambled and the main purpose of the STB's is to descramble the signal.  Also if they supplied you with that marginal cost item they would also cut off their revenue from renting you dvr's as you could then introduce your own pvr and central server service.

This can actually be done by using a device such as the Hauppauge HD PVR as an interconnect between an stb and an atsc receiver card in a media center pc.

Barbara92
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey, thanks for your feedback, I'm not quite sure what you mean though.  The old ethernet port I mentioned from my original FIOS installation does not seem to be active, because I've plugged an ethernet cord into it and then into both the computer and router and nothing happened.

My question is how to I make this inactive ethernet port on my wall active?  And can I do this on my own?  Thanks for reading.

0 Likes
Re: Can somebody FIOS savvy answer this one?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

If you previously had a D-Link router, then you had an Ethernet (cat5) connection between the ONT and the D-Link.

When you got FIOS this time, including FIOS-TV, you were probably given a new Actiontec router.

VZ's preferred install is now coax from the ONT to to the Actiontec.

So your WAN connection is currently provisioned over coax, not cat5.

You can call the FSC and ask to be switched from coax WAN to cat5 WAN.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.1_Actiontec#15990

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Barbara9 wrote:

Hey, thanks for your feedback, I'm not quite sure what you mean though.  The old ethernet port I mentioned from my original FIOS installation does not seem to be active, because I've plugged an ethernet cord into it and then into both the computer and router and nothing happened.

My question is how to I make this inactive ethernet port on my wall active?  And can I do this on my own?  Thanks for reading.

because I've plugged an ethernet cord into it and then into both the computer and router

I guess by this you mean the router is not near the ont so my suggestion would not work.  Your new router is MOCA connected i.e coax.  As the next post says you can request to have the ont connection changed to ethernet.  After VZ has done that you will need to connect the ethernet cable to the ont's ethernet port and connect the VZ router to the ethernet port in the computer room as the coax connection will no longer carry the internet traffic.

0 Likes
Barbara92
Enthusiast - Level 3

Once again thanks for your input.  To respond to viafax, no, the Westell 9100 isn't even close to the ONT, which is in the garage, where as the Westell is sitting right here next to me in the computer room across the house. 

So, now that I know I can call Verizon and have them switch my internet connection to Ethernet...my final question (unless I think of somethin else 😃 )  is...would I see a signifigant, or even a small improvement in my internet speeds?  I have the Triple Play 35/35 package, and whenever I go to watch FIOS TV online, the video will lag every few seconds for about a half a second  without fail, whether I am watching movies on HBO GO, Epix, MaxGO, etc...and by the way, this is in plain SD mode, not even HD.  I'm pretty sure it's the FIOS because while my computer isn't particular high end and ultra fast, it is a Gateway SX-2800, which has a quadcore processor, 4 gigs of ram, optimized with Verizon In Home agent, and kept constantly clean and up-to-date.  Browser history is also constantly cleaned, and  Windows firewall is also deactivated.  Granted, I have heard the intergraded video chip that comes in it is quite bad I will point out that every high quality movie I've either downloaded already or watch on DVD runs perfectly.

So would switched to ethernet help with my speeds?  Or is there anything else I can do?  Again, thanks for your feedback guys.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you run speedtest on your browser what speeds does it show you are getting?

http://speedtest.verizon.net

Moving to an ethernet connection should make no difference, but there again you should not be getting any lag the tv signal unless there is something wrong with your internet speeds or there is something real busy running on your pc.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'd try it out on my own machine if I coould work out how to get fios tv online to workSmiley Mad

No matter which way I try to start it I end up in the same place being told I need to subscribe to Adobe and the link is dead.

Guess I'll have to contact tech support or maybe see if I can escalate it via this CL thingy

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Finally managed to get Fios TV Online to work.

Unblievably, for some reason I have to logon with my Verizon email id and password to make it work, not the normal id and password I use for access to the forums, my account etc.  Am told I have to usthe email id for anything to do with TV as that's under verizon.net and uses a different id - wonder what happened to SSO

Anyway after getting tv online to work I fired up CNN and I too see a lag.  Less of a lag when the HD button is orange not white.  Which is HD White or orange/red??

0 Likes