Can't edit or delete rule
lordamily

Setup a Parental Control rule to block all net access for one computer in our house during a given time frame. That generally worked fine.

Then added another computer to that same rule.

That apparently was more than the router/software could handle.

The rule somewhat reset itself - when edited, it doesn't list the computers that are noted in the summary for that rule and none of the custom options are set. The rule seems reset to defaults (block all access, enabled from 6am to 6am).

Problem is, this rule IS still affecting the two computers that are listed in the summary.

I say 'delete rule', router asks me to confirm, I do, and the summary page reloads still showing the rule.

I created a new rule, different computer, then try to delete the first (problematic) rule and the second new rule is deleted instead!

Deleting the new rule directly results in it being deleted (as it should).

Editing the rule, as mentioned, shows a default rule page - no selected computers, no settings. Saving it as-is gives errors about it being 'empty' or mandatory options not set. Setting a new computer (as the ones listed in the first/problem rule aren't showing up) and a the mandatory options, then saving, creates a new rule, even though I was edting the first/problem one.

All wacked out.

ANY WAY to delete a rule otherwise? SSH or something? Any way VZ techs can do this?

Or is my only option to 'reset factory defaults' which would SUCK as I have a custom internal IP/subnet, routing rules, and forwards setup....?

Help.

Thanks.

KM

0 Likes
Re: Can't edit or delete rule
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I'm sorry for the router rule problem you are having. I have sent you a PM to address this further.

0 Likes
lordamily

Form completed.

I looked at the Advanced: Routing Table and DNS options to see if I could remove those computers from the network, but they're already gone.

KM

0 Likes
Dragineez
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have this problem too. What I think happened is that I set-up a port forwarding rule ages ago - before Verizon blocked these ports and banned such rules by auto-patching the router firmware. Now, since a pre-existing rule violates their policy I can no longer delete or modify the pre-existing rules. PITA.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Dragineez wrote:

What I think happened is that I set-up a port forwarding rule ages ago - before Verizon blocked these ports and banned such rules by auto-patching the router firmware. Now, since a pre-existing rule violates their policy I can no longer delete or modify the pre-existing rules. PITA.

What ports are you talking about being blocked?  VZ does not block any ports.

VZ does create port forwarding rules which you can not delete, but those are to enable traffic to pass from the WAN to the STBs, not block it.

0 Likes
Dragineez
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ha! You so funny! "Verizon doesn't block ports.." Hilarious. Wanna see how many thousands of posts I can find on forums all over the country to refute that claim? You don't consider disabling NAT loopback to be bocking? I do. There is a rather long list of pre-defined port forwards in my router (same one I've had for almost 4 years now, back in the olden days when there was a pre-defined port forwarding rule for Half-Life Dedicated Servers) that can no longer be implemented because "you cannot configure port forwarding for ports in the defined range". "Verizon doesn't block ports" MA.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What Anti-Phish meant to say is, the incoming connection (provided by Verizon) does not have ports blocked. To say that, if you take out the Verizon router and stick your own in place, everything will be wide open. If the Verizon firmware, even after a hard reset of the config on the ActionTec still restricts your ability to forward ports, and if you've had the router for a while (over 1 year) and can deal with getting a NIM100 and ditching MoCa support entirely from the router, install DD-WRT to it. I have an ActionTec MI424WR Rev. D and it runs like a champ on the DSL. No firmware restrictions (I have CLI access to it) and Verizon won't be able to root it or flash firmware to it (That requires physical access to Redboot on a properly set-up install. Redboot only takes commands BEFORE the boot script runs and loads Linux).

Away from that, get your own router or wait until someone in Verizon decides to fix the restriction, if it is something they put in there deliberately. Downgrading the firmware will probably only last so long.

Dragineez
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was contemplating that (have the Verizon Actiontec be a sub-net of a connection through my own unrestricted router). I ran a LinkSys with DD-WRT installed on Comcast before I went to FIOS. Worked like a dream. But with all my STBs being connected through the Actiontec I felt it wasn't worth the bother. The Coax HAS to go to the Actiontec first for the TVs to work, so I can't really bypass it. If I knocked out the TV for even 15 minutes, I'd be an ~EX-HUSBAND~ pdq! (Emphasis on EX!)

I'm only running the game server temporarily so I can learn how it's done. Once I'm comfortable managing the server I'll move the game server to a hosted solution. The web server and teamspeak server work fine in the DMZ and with them I can get away with adding an entry to the host file. Heck, the Left4Dead2 server works. I just can't initiate a game through Steam's lobby system. That's a rather important aspect of the game as it lets all our friends assemble to join a game, go to a server where we have control, can load custom maps, pick the character, game mode, type, difficulty, etc. Doing that after everyone's already in-game is a serious PITA.

I never meant to imply that Verizon blocked ports at the point of origination, only at the home router end. The stock router most definitely prohibits NAT loopback, which is the cause of my problems with the srcds. There are a boat-load of ports for common services that can no longer be forwarded on the stock router with the "approved" firmware. It didn't use to be that way. I have a half dozen custom port forwarding rules I created years ago I can no longer edit or delete because they now violate the new restrictions on what ports I'm allowed to configure.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah, alrighty. recall reading about your issue I think at DSLReports (over the Loopback issue). Personally, I've found making lobbies in L4D2 to be hit or miss. At the time of me running L4D2, I was in a double-NAT setup as this was before I switched out my old Linksys to the Actiontec running DD-WRT (My Linksys was slowly dying, and wouldn't take DD-WRT without a radio replacement). People could join my game if I gave them my IP address with the port number to connect to via the console, though lobby joining was hit or miss. Sometimes it was a "Can Connect" situation. Others, it was a "Cannot Join Lobby." I haven't tried hosting anything since I got DD-WRT up and running, but unlike the last setup I obviously have a lot of control, and can probably get a lobby running just fine every time.

I can barely host anything decent, anyways. The moment the horde starts coming I need to turn down the in-game rates server-side as just two people are enough to completely saturate my upstream. Seriously feels like the days of dial-up where you could only play with one other person due to bandwidth constraints, lol. It's why I wish FiOS would have come here sooner so I can actually enjoy some time hosting games (I'm the only person out of my group of friends on Steam who really knows how to Port Forward and run a server). For now, I run game servers off of a dedicated server I have with dual Quad Core CPUs and 1Gbps Unmetered connectivity, but it would be nice if I could host them locally when I wish to play and not have to deal with a jittery-prone route to Chicago.

It's sad when I can't even host a 6 player Halo game (and Halo's old, too!) without others complaining about 900 ping from upload saturation, and that's telling people to not use the Internet here 😕

FiOSinRedBank
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sending a "PM"?  Is that for "private message"?  Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the forum?  I am having the exact same problem but because the solution was not posted, I can't fix my router.

0 Likes