Can't RDP to Windows Home Server 2011
leeW1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I saw a post from several years ago that said Verizon's TOS doesn't allow servers.  Couldn't find anything recent so was wondering if it still applies now that WHS 2011 and other NAS have come out targeted for home users (read...low bandwidth requirement).  I can access the server remotely via https:// to browse,upload, and stream content, but can't remotely login to administer.  Going crazy trying to set up port forwarding on my Actiontec MI424WR router for port 4125.  Any help/ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't RDP to Windows Home Server 2011
leeW1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I actually solved this yesterday but didn't get a chance to close out this thread.  I did several things at once so I'm not quite sure which one was the silver bullet but here it goes...

1. Enabled RDP on the WHS 2011 Server firewall

2. Reset my router back to default settings

3. Modified router -- Firewall Settings --> Remote Administration to allow incoming access on 80, 8080, 443, and 8443.

4. Modified router -- Firewall Settings --> Static NAT

4a.  Server name in the Networked Computer / Device block

4b.  The router's IP (108.48.68.xxx) in the Public IP Address block

4c.  Check "Enable Port Forwarding for Static NAT"

4d.  Chose "Remote Desktop" on UDP and TCP "Any -> 3389" and "Any -> 4125" (Did both just to be sure)

I know some of those steps weren't the solution, but it works now and I really don't want to spend the time undoing them one at a time to see which one actually breaks the connection.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
celltech5333
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unless you changed it, RDP uses TCP port 3389. In the registry you can actually change the port if you want.  I have 2 machines, one uses 3389 while the other was set to 3390.  I can access either of them easily.

In either scenario you need to make sure the Windows firewall is opened...

patshan

I am also having a nightmare setting up WHS 2011 with the Verizon Actiontec MI424WR router.  I have not even gotten as far as you have.  It will not allow auto-config thru UPnP, nor will my manual port-forwarding settings (as spec'd for WHS) work.  Any ideas would be helpful at this point.  Very frustrating.

0 Likes
leeW1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@celltech5333...are you using WHS 2011 or another RDP app, and are you using the Actiontec router?

WHS 2011 setup says it's port 4125, but I also have forwarding for 3389 enabled on my router.  I checked the windows firewall on the server and enabled RDP connections on 3389, but still nothing.  Have tried and failed to RDP to the server from two different workstations.  http://www.canyouseeme.org does not see my server on ports 3389 or 4215 but it can see me on 443.

On the WHS 2011 dashboard, the Remote Web Access tab keeps saying my "router is not working" and it can't fix it automatically and I can't find a manual way to configure it either.  From the other posts, it looks like some have had success with the Westell modems.  

0 Likes
celltech5333
Enthusiast - Level 2
I must admit that I am using Win 7 and Win Server 2008. Google seems to show both ports depending on the thread. Maybe you can check the port with this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759

I also don't have the Actioncrap router. Can you dmz the computer and prove the router is at fault?
0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@leeW wrote:

I saw a post from several years ago that said Verizon's TOS doesn't allow servers.  Couldn't find anything recent so was wondering if it still applies now that WHS 2011 and other NAS have come out targeted for home users (read...low bandwidth requirement).  I can access the server remotely via https:// to browse,upload, and stream content, but can't remotely login to administer.  Going crazy trying to set up port forwarding on my Actiontec MI424WR router for port 4125.  Any help/ideas?

You really need to forward 4 ports for WHS, 80, 443, 3389, 4125

port 80 is standard web traffic

port 443 is secure http web traffic

port 3389 is remote desktop Protocol (RDP) for remote control of server

port 4125 is Remote Web Workplace (RWW)

You need to add 4 port forwarding rules to your router under firewall settings.  They should all look like this

This one is for RDP

Local Host should have the ip address of the server e.g. 192.168.1.50

the protocol field should have the value as follows

name -whever you want to call it e.g. my  whs rdp

Ports should say

TCPAny -> 3389

Forward to port should say

same as incoming port

Schedule should say

Always

Repeat for the other 3 ports cahanging the name and port number exampled for each

Make sure you check the box to make each of them active,

0 Likes
leeW1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I actually solved this yesterday but didn't get a chance to close out this thread.  I did several things at once so I'm not quite sure which one was the silver bullet but here it goes...

1. Enabled RDP on the WHS 2011 Server firewall

2. Reset my router back to default settings

3. Modified router -- Firewall Settings --> Remote Administration to allow incoming access on 80, 8080, 443, and 8443.

4. Modified router -- Firewall Settings --> Static NAT

4a.  Server name in the Networked Computer / Device block

4b.  The router's IP (108.48.68.xxx) in the Public IP Address block

4c.  Check "Enable Port Forwarding for Static NAT"

4d.  Chose "Remote Desktop" on UDP and TCP "Any -> 3389" and "Any -> 4125" (Did both just to be sure)

I know some of those steps weren't the solution, but it works now and I really don't want to spend the time undoing them one at a time to see which one actually breaks the connection.  Good luck!

0 Likes