Can you add second router to setup VPN with the G3100?
jcutler121
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a G3100 router and I want to know if I can add a second router to configure a VPN. I would be setting up a VPN so I can remote in to other computers at the house when I am not home. I have a Dell SOHO Sonicwall with the VPN capabilites that I can use. Is this possible with the G3100?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can you add second router to setup VPN with the G3100?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's possible, but the key question is, do you have FiOS TV, or just Internet? If you have just Internet, you can take the G3100 out of the mix and just connect your own router directly to the ONT's Ethernet port. Getting an IP just requires performing a DHCP Release of your WAN IP before you turn off the G3100, and use DHCP to the ONT once the SonicWall is hooked up.

Otherwise, an alternative would be to port forward in the G3100, the required ports for your VPN to work to the SonicWall's "Outer" interface hosting your VPN. Your "Inner" interface will be a connection back to your home network. The SonicWall will dish out IP addresses only to the VPN, from another subnet (192.168.2.0/24 for example).

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's possible, but the key question is, do you have FiOS TV, or just Internet? If you have just Internet, you can take the G3100 out of the mix and just connect your own router directly to the ONT's Ethernet port. Getting an IP just requires performing a DHCP Release of your WAN IP before you turn off the G3100, and use DHCP to the ONT once the SonicWall is hooked up.

Otherwise, an alternative would be to port forward in the G3100, the required ports for your VPN to work to the SonicWall's "Outer" interface hosting your VPN. Your "Inner" interface will be a connection back to your home network. The SonicWall will dish out IP addresses only to the VPN, from another subnet (192.168.2.0/24 for example).

physica

Good info. But, does anyone know what other vpn client routers are also compatible with the G3100. Thank you.

0 Likes