Canconnect to the router, but not to the internet
Xguru

Hello,

As the subject implies, here is my problem. I have Verizon FIOS internet, which comes thru the Actiontec router. In the house there are several machines, all wireless, running either Win 7 or Linux 2.6.31-based systems. Most of the time eveyrthing works, but since recently there some strange problems.

Namely, I can connect to the router from any machine, but it is only the local area connection (I can print on the print server/wireless printer). Most interestingly, the nameserver (192.168.1.1) does work. I mean, even though I can not go to the Web, when I issue:

ping google.com

its IP gets resolved:

PING google.com (64.233.169.104) 56(84) bytes of data.

and then nothing. So, it is not the wiring problem. Here is my /etc/resolv.conf

# Generated by dhcpcd from wlan0
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
domain home
nameserver 192.168.1.1
# /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

The funny part is when I change the hostname on one of linux boxes (it is anyway just a nomenclature, since all IP are dynamic), or I change MAC on the wireless card, the internet connection appears for some time (that's how I could write this), but then goes down again.

There were no changes at the router, and this is not likely to be an OS-specific problem. Since I am not a Windows professional, I have not doen the above tricks on Win 7 machines.

Thanks, and happy holidays!

0 Likes
Re: Canconnect to the router, but not to the internet
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Try resetting the router. (push the reset button for at least 10 seconds with the router turned on)

I saw that you have a windows 7 machine. There is an incompatibility between windows 7 and the wan coax connection on the Verizon routers. If you are in the "network and sharing center" in Windows 7 and click on the "network" icon, it disables the Wan connection on the router. Resetting the router, will resolve this issue.  (at least until someone clicks the network icon again lol )  If thats the problem in this case, this should fix it

Good place to start anyway

0 Likes
Re: Canconnect to the router, but not to the internet
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a win7 media center running on the VZ router subnet, albeit it's connected to a switch that extends the subnet from one side of the house to the other.

I've had no issue at all.  In fact this morning I had to use network discovery from the network and sharing center to change the network type between me and the internet to private after I moved the win7 machine from an internal subnet back out to the external VZ subnet.  Without doing that I couldn't access the machine across the internal router as the firewall blocked me.

0 Likes