Cannot change name on a MI424WR network device.
Wildfire12

I have an Actiontec MI424WR Rev I with the latest update.  I can see everything connected to the router (network) and change the names of most items.  One device (the printer) will not give me the option to change the device name.  Why? Is this fixable?

Thanks

Frank H

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot change name on a MI424WR network device.
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Wildfire12 wrote:

I have an Actiontec MI424WR Rev I with the latest update.  I can see everything connected to the router (network) and change the names of most items.  One device (the printer) will not give me the option to change the device name.  Why? Is this fixable?

Thanks

Frank H

I can't rename my printer either. 

In the case of my printer (and I suspect yours) when installing the printer as a LAN device, the printer is assigned a static IP address during the configuration process.  This is different than letting the router assign an IP and then checking the "Static Lease Type" in the router's advanced setup. 

I have a couple of other devices, a PC, a WAP, etc., where I've manually assigned them their own IP addresses.  I can't rename those devices in the router's setup either.

Bottom line:  It seems that if a device has a static IP that is assigned to manually and outside of the Actiontec's setup, that device can't be renamed.

If your printer was actually assigned its IP address by the router's DHCP, I'm stumped. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Frank, let me look into this for you. Could you tell me what make and model printer this is?

Thanks,

Francis

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Wildfire12 wrote:

Thanks

Frank H

In the case of my printer (and I suspect yours) when installing the printer as a LAN device, the printer is assigned a static IP address during the configuration process.  This is different than letting the router assign an IP and then checking the "Static Lease Type" in the router's advanced setup. 

I have a couple of other devices, a PC, a WAP, etc., where I've manually assigned them their own IP addresses.  I can't rename those devices in the router's setup either.

Bottom line:  It seems that if a device has a static IP that is assigned to manually and outside of the Actiontec's setup, that device can't be renamed.

If your printer was actually assigned its IP address by the router's DHCP, I'm stumped. 

0 Likes
Wildfire12

Hello Francis,

The router is a Brother MFC-8480DN. 

It is set to DHCP and is fully functional, I just cannot change the name on the router.  The option is not even on the list which indicates to me there is something specific that I need to change on the printer or the router.

ThanksFrank

0 Likes
Wildfire12

Hello,

The Printer is a Brother MFC-8480DN. 

So I went into the settings and manually set the printer to DHCP and guess what..... it now lets me change the name on the router.

I guess the default is not actually DHCP so I was making assumptions.....

Thanks

Hello F

@eljefe wrote:

@Wildfire12 wrote:

Thanks

Frank H

0 Likes